cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rittermd
Master
Master

QSS for Dummies

I need a short explanation as to what the service does, when it is installed, and what I should see if it is installed and running.

Here is my issue.  We have a Production installation and a Development installation of QlikView.  These were setup some time ago and by different people. 

The Production environment is running the QSS service.  However, this service will not start on the DEV server.

We are running QV 11.20.12904.0 on both servers.

My goal is to get both servers set to be identical.  If that is possible at this point.

So if anyone can explain to me what this service does and why or why not I should have it running that would be greatly appreciated.

I have read that it provides an interface to update aspx stuff.  If it is running where would I see this interface?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

QVWS is the default and simpler to install and set up.  It would be my preferred choice unless one has reason to choose IIS.

QVWS may indeed be less vulnerable to hacking - Google "Hack IIS" and you get loads of hits whereas "Hack QVWS" gets no relevant hits.

However I do use IIS for a Web Server in the DMZ as it gives more facilities to fine tune locking things down.  But also use QVWS on the LAN, both running off the same QlikView Server Windows service.  I have never seen any issues or things behaving differently between the two, so for your scenario I would not worry too much.

If possible I'd suggest you try and ask why IIS was used for Prod, but the reason may well have been forgotten over the years.

As for changing DEV to IIS, yes it can done... but unless you know why it was done with IIS you won't know if any special config was done on Prod.  But as I said earlier I'd leave as is and not worry about it.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable

The QSS service is only needed when using IIS for the Web Server as opposed to QVWS.

Does your Dev Installation run an Accesspoint and if so does it run IIS or QVWS ?

rittermd
Master
Master
Author

The DEV environment does run an Access Point.  I am not sure if it is running IIS or QVWS.  I have asked IT but no answer yet.  Is there an easy way to tell?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is there a Windows service running on the Dev box called QlikView Web Server aka QVWS ?

rittermd
Master
Master
Author

On the DEV box QVWS is running.  On Production it is not.

So I assume this means that IIS is being used in Production and not in DEV?

Why would one set the two servers to be different like this?

Is there a benefit to QVWS or IIS or vice versa?

Could this potentially cause any issues when moving applications from the DEV environment to Production.  Will everything work the same in both?

How hard would it be to change DEV to IIS so it was the same setup as Production?

Anonymous
Not applicable

QVWS is the default and simpler to install and set up.  It would be my preferred choice unless one has reason to choose IIS.

QVWS may indeed be less vulnerable to hacking - Google "Hack IIS" and you get loads of hits whereas "Hack QVWS" gets no relevant hits.

However I do use IIS for a Web Server in the DMZ as it gives more facilities to fine tune locking things down.  But also use QVWS on the LAN, both running off the same QlikView Server Windows service.  I have never seen any issues or things behaving differently between the two, so for your scenario I would not worry too much.

If possible I'd suggest you try and ask why IIS was used for Prod, but the reason may well have been forgotten over the years.

As for changing DEV to IIS, yes it can done... but unless you know why it was done with IIS you won't know if any special config was done on Prod.  But as I said earlier I'd leave as is and not worry about it.