Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

QVConnect "Failed To Start Connector"

Hi folks. Just installed Qlikview at work and I'm having trouble using QVConnect to attach to my SQL Server based databases. QVConnect appears to reside in an AppData Local folder which must have some sort of permission on it as QVConnect (both 32 and 64bit versions) is repeatedly reporting "Failed to start connector" when I try to create a connection string. Is there any way I can move QVConnect to a different folder and inform Qlikview or is there some other workaround? Very eager to start using it and this is a stumbling block. 

16 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Are you sure about the loaction of QVConnect?

AFAIK it should reside in the installation folder of QV Desktop.

Which version of QlikView did you install?

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Ah I see. You're posting in a QlikView forum but talking about Qlik Sense, correct?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Peter. No, I've installed QlikView x64 Personal edition. QVConnect is currently residing in . If I move it, it rebuilds and if I alter the path in settings.ini that file is overwritten with the Temp file location. Many thanks for replying, by the way.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Your problem seems comparable to How to solve the "Failed to start connector QVConnect" problem ?

It may be that your access to this location is blocked by a Group Policy restriction.

If there already is a QVConnect32.exe or QVConnect64.exe in that folder, try starting one of those. If you again get an error message, it will probably tell you in more detail what is wrong.

BTW the explanation is this:

The QVConnect executables are embedded in the QV.exe executable. On first starting QV.exe, the program tries to unbundle these executables in the folder you mentioned, in order to make sure that it always has access to the correct version of QVConnect32 and QVConnect64. There seems to be no method to disable or redirect this expansion.

I guess your only option is to fix the permissions so that QV.exe can unbundle those subprograms at least once.

[Edit] Corrected a few spelling errors...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Many thanks Peter. If there isn't a way to modify where QVConnect gets unbundled to I'll take it up with my internal IT department and try to get the access rights to the folder changed. Thanks again for your speedy replies.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Good luck!

If you get it resolved, don't forget to close the discussion and - if possible - to provide feedback on the solution you selected. Thanks.

jedorelon
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi there,

Peter, you're right, my problem is the same as Anthony's one.

I couldn't spend more time on that error, so I decided to downgrade my QV in a previous version 12.0.20000.

It works, but it's a pity.

Please Qliktech, fix this !

Anthony, did you find a way to solve this problem ?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I'm in the process of getting admin rights on the machine I'm using at work and I'm hoping that will resolve the issue but it will mean anyone who wants to use Qlikview will also have to have admin rights on their machine, which will be a defining barrier to uptake. Such a pity payload location isn't a configurable setting, particularly because I want to demo Qlikview in order to sell it as our data visualisation tool of choice. I'm almost certainly going to build dashboards from flatfiles in Qlikview, get people to go "yes please", then build them in Excel and VBA. Qlikview has lost a sale here from hard-coding the filepath and we're one of the biggest digital agencies in Europe.    

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Sorry to hear that.

In order to convince Qlik to consider changing that particular piece of technology in a future release, you can always submit a ticket to Qlik Support with a description of you situation and why you cannot change the GPO or rights to the unblundling directory.

The more people complain about an issue, the more Qlik will consider it important to make changes. But no guarantees

Best,

Peter