cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

QVWS and IIS reside on the same server

Hi everyone,

Usually you install QlikView Server (QVS) with intend to use either QlikView Web Server (QVWS) or IIS.

Due to limited resources, I may need to install QVS -- with the intention to use QVWS as its webserver, and not leveraging IIS --, BUT on the same server (Windows 2003) that has IIS and IIS-dependent applications installed.

Would it be unwise to do so? I'm guessing the users would still be able to get to AccessPoint (as it is still uses QVWS).

My question is will it cause any issues with the other apps that uses IIS as you could say that there are now 2 webservers sitting on the same server?

(All the users for the other apps will be domain users)

What should I do if it's the case? Any suggestion will be appreaciated

Thanks in advance,

QVAWUser - Anton

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Anton,

Yes, from version 10 on you can change the HTTP port in the QEMC (or in the xml, but the first is more comfortable for me). That will require a services restart, and depending on your network hardware and software (network paths, DHCP servers...), to reset the computer. Anyway, it's usually not a big deal just changing the port, applying and restarting.

Hope that helps.

Miguel Angel Baeyens

BI Consultant

Comex Grupo Ibérica

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Anton,

It's not so unsual in my experience due to restricted resources or small deployments or test servers. I always prefer not to mix services up, and install them in different computers. Anyway, you can install the server to use QVWS but you will need to change the port QVWS is listening to in order to serve documents right. Besides, you may need, depending on your network structure, do some NAT translating or routing... Even having them in different computers but in the same network, this firewalling/NAT process would be required.

IIS and QVWS are independent services running in the same machine, so if permissions are set properly, you shouldn't have any problems to differentiate access to IIS and QVWS, and have both correctly isolated from each other.

But the short answer as far as I know is yes, provided you change the port and you have the .NET libraries required installed in your computer.

Hope that helps.

Miguel Angel Baeyens

BI Consultant

Comex Grupo Ibérica

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel,

Thanks for your quick response. As to what you just mentioned, I need to change that settings either from QEMC or config.xml, yes? Again, thank you for pointing me to right direction.

QVAWUser-Anton

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Anton,

Yes, from version 10 on you can change the HTTP port in the QEMC (or in the xml, but the first is more comfortable for me). That will require a services restart, and depending on your network hardware and software (network paths, DHCP servers...), to reset the computer. Anyway, it's usually not a big deal just changing the port, applying and restarting.

Hope that helps.

Miguel Angel Baeyens

BI Consultant

Comex Grupo Ibérica

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Actually I don't think you'd have any issues running both web servers on port 80. They will do port sharing and all calls for the QV registered virtual folders in QVWS will be directed to the QlikView web server while calls to folders on the IIS will go there.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Miguel and Johannes,

Thanks for your inputs. I'll do my test and let you know what the outcome is. Again, I really appreciate it.

Anton

Not applicable
Author

IIR and QVWS can be run parallel. We have such a system in production, although it gets a bit more tricky (yet feasible) if you switch to SSL, where no port sharing is available.

I currently have an issue running the Non-SSL-Scenario on Windows XP. The QlikView Webserver won't start unless I switch off IIS...Does portsharing only work on Windows Server versions?

Regards

Seb

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Seb,

It depends on your .NET (3 or higher) and IIS version (check here for further reference). Windows XP doesn't support port sharing, though.

Hope that helps.

Miguel Angel Baeyens

BI Consultant

Comex Grupo Ibérica

Not applicable
Author

Thanks, that covers all my questions!

Not applicable
Author

I need urgent help on the below mentioned.

Facing the port confliction issue between IIS and QVWS (QlikView Webserver) on port 80 which is not allowing to run the QVWS. We have also tried changing the port settings from QMC (QlikView Management Console) and config file of QVWS but still it is not functioning properly.

Details: Installed QV Server 11.2 on Windows Server 2008 R2 where IIS 7.5 was already configured using microstrategy services.