Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QVX file import error

Hi, I have a qvx file that I am trying to load into QlivkView 11.2 SP5.

The data looks perfect when you use the preview pane

But when you load the data it doesn't look right

The data for the column A ends up in column F etc

And as a result there are strange Characters appearing in some columns

And a lot of null values in others.

It's not happening for all rows of data just the top 20 rows and the last 200 of a file which contains about 29,000 rows

Has anyone come across a similar issue ?

I am just wondering if the qvx file is corrupt in some way and if there is anything we can do to prevent it happening ...

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Screenshots won't really help in this case, I think. A QVX import that fails to run its course usually means problems with the formatting or bad data.

We once had a similar problem with Qlik OCX suddenly refusing to load an otherwise OK QVX file. As soon as we got the number of the row that broke the import, we quickly found out that a field value contained <NL> or <CR> characters, and the QlikView QVX import doesn't like those.

You can try to verify the contents of the erroneous QVX. If problems start in the first 20 rows, check those for anomalies by loading the QVX in a capable text editor like Notepad++. The data starts (in binary form) after the XML header.

Best,

Peter

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Probably corrupt, or produced by a bad QVX-generator. Producing correct QVX files is not that simple.

Which application created the QVX file in the first place?

Best,

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Hi Peter,

it was produced by a Lavastorm publishing node

the error is only occurring periodically so it's hard to reproduce and unfortunately I can't post the qvx file due to data protection issues.

I just thought it might be something on the import side seeing as the preview seems perfect

I have screen shots if that's any good ?

Thanks

Berny

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Screenshots won't really help in this case, I think. A QVX import that fails to run its course usually means problems with the formatting or bad data.

We once had a similar problem with Qlik OCX suddenly refusing to load an otherwise OK QVX file. As soon as we got the number of the row that broke the import, we quickly found out that a field value contained <NL> or <CR> characters, and the QlikView QVX import doesn't like those.

You can try to verify the contents of the erroneous QVX. If problems start in the first 20 rows, check those for anomalies by loading the QVX in a capable text editor like Notepad++. The data starts (in binary form) after the XML header.

Best,

Peter

Not applicable
Author

Hi Peter

you are a star bar !

As soon as you mentioned your previous similar problem I went hunting and found the culprit, there's a long list of pipe delimited values that only occur a small amount of the time

They cause problems when imported into Excel but none when opened as csv using Notepad++

When we stripped these long lists out of our file and re-loaded the problem went away.

Thank you so much for your time and expertise in this matter

Berny