cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rakesh_kumar
Creator
Creator

Qlik vs Tableau, Market Capitalization

Here are the market cap screenshots for both Qlik and Tableau, as they stand as of yesterday:

Qlik.PNG

Tableau.PNG

Qlik has a marketcap of $3.1 Billion and Tableau has a market cap of $6.8 Billion. So Tableau has $3.7 Billion more market cap. We all know that the top folks managing Qlik has figured out they are lacking in the front end aspect when compared to Tableau and so they made a smart decision by introducing Qlik Sense to compete in that aspect.  But is that enough to become a leader in BI space??

In my view to become a true leader in BI space a tool needs to have all the aspects of Universal data source connectivity, drag and drop visual data integration capability (ETL) and Advanced visualisation capabilities (Like Geo spatial analysis using Google maps), Easy pixel perfect and multi format report generation and distribution capabilities, Finally forecasting abilities including predictive analytics.

So simply the sales pitch for potential customer would be: "What ever your transaction databases or data sources, all you need for your BI requirements is one tool that has all the above mentioned capabilities"

Here is 2015 Gartner BI Quadrant:

2015-Gartner-Magic-Quadrant-for-BI-and-Analytics-Platforms-EN.jpg

From the picture above it is evident that Qlik is just behind Tableau but by a significant distance. So for Qlik to become a market leader in BI space and to be placed in the Gartner magic quadrant in the coming days as below, here are my thoughts:

Gartner-Magic-Quadrant-for-BI-Qlik-Target.jpg

I am happy with the QlikView’s acquisition of Nprinting as it makes perfect sense to add pixel perfect reporting capabilities to an already fantastic tool like QlikView. Next it needs to acquire data blending tool like Alteryx as performing the integration and manipulation of data visually through a rapid and easy data blending tool will make the development process more efficient and also make it easy for the users to visually interpret the dataflow, understand and debug. QlikView already has excellent scripting component but adding a drag and dropping of visual nodes (with the nodes having all the standard features like joins, manipulations and custom QlikView scripting features) onto the scripting/Data integration layout would make the application development process even more quick and efficient.

In simple words:

Qlik: Self service data visualization tool

Alteryx: Self service ETL tool

Qlik Nprinting: Self service reporting tool

Other potentially good tools for Qlik to acquire next would be:

1. QVSource - The QlikView & Qlik Sense API Connector: QlikView or QlikSense should have universal connector capabilities to connect to all the major standard data sources and this can be accomplished by acquiring QVSource

2. GeoQlik / QlikMaps: Qlik needs to add simple maps integration capabilities into its applications and this can be done by acquiring GeoQlik / QlikMaps

I suggest Qlik to integrate all these features into standard QlikView and QlikSense Products and release into the market 2 major products like this:

1. QlikView and QlikSense (Desktop &  Server): QlikView/QlikSense + Alteryx + QVSource + QlikMaps

2. Qlik NPrinting: This should replace publisher down the line

Although there is currently no good third party tool available to integrate industry standard statistical analytics packages like SAS, SPSS or R to/from QlikView, it would be good for Qlik to develop something like these to add predictive analytics capability to QlikView and QlikSense.

Qlik headed in the right direction by announcing Qlik Cloud to give customers to develop QlikView applications without having to worry about the infrastructure and maintenance issues.

I am a huge fan of Qlik products and these are my thoughts for Qlik to become a leader in the BI market and I would be happy to know your thoughts?

0 Replies