Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sc305495
Contributor
Contributor

QlikView Ajax from desktop Client?

Hello Community,

The way we are setup we do a lot of development in a file share outside of the Qlik server.  We want to use a custom extension we've built in-house for navigating several applications (document chaining, clicking the link opens up the corresponding application).

This works very well when we are accessing the apps via the access point (after they've been distributed on the server.

In example, some JS to build the menu would look like:

var addThis =

"<div id ='nav'>"+

"<ul>"+

"<li><a href='../QvAJAXZfc/opendoc.htm?document="<DASHBOARD NAME HERE>&host=<DEV Cluster NAME HERE>'>Summary</a></li>"+

and when you click on the link it would bring you to the corresponding dashboard.  This works great in the server, but when we are developing on the file share (where we used to use relative paths and the "Open Qlik View Application" actions to go app to app) I'm not sure how to build the URL in order to point to a .qvw on the file share.

In essence, I'm asking if there's a way to use the AJAX API to link to a .QVW that is on a file share or stored locally on a PC?  I feel like I must be missing something obvious.... just crating a link to the QVW w/o the AJAX call make Qlik prompt the user to download a blank QVW which seems.... odd...

I'm really just trying to figure out how I can document chain with our custom menu when the application is open in the desktop client.  Is there some sort of local server running that I'm missing?

Thanks for any insight you may be able to provide!

3 Replies
michael123
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

The Ajax client assumes there is a QlikView server uploading the report in memory and where all calculations and population of objects are done. Only the result are rendered out to the client side.

Can't you mount the share in your QVS and build up your links from there?

Regards,

/Michael

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

And to answer your question: no there is no server running inside QV Desktop. QV Desktop is a Windows app that loads QVW documents and presents them using either the QlikView client, or the AJAX client (by way of the rendering engine of Internet Explorer).

Qlik Sense Desktop on the other hand comes with a server that you can visit using a regular browser. But QV Desktop does not.

sc305495
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Thanks Peter,

That's what I feared, I'm used to Qlik sense but am currently doing some QlikView development work.  I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get this navigation working both inside and outside of our server environment.  To build our URLS I'm using this function

//Global Variables
var vBrow;
var vNonBrow;

/* Set the values of Browsable & Non-Browsable, determine what environment we are in and build the URL specific to that environment */
function buildURL(){
vBrow = "Browseable";
vNonBrow = "Non-Browsable";
if (window.location.href.indexOf("DEV_DISC_") > -1) {
  vEnv = "../QvAJAXZfc/opendoc.htm?document=DEV_DISC_EBIA_IT_";
} else if (window.location.href.indexOf("DEV_PROD") > -1){
  vEnv = "../QvAJAXZfc/opendoc.htm?document=DEV_PROD_EBIA_IT_";
} else if (window.location.href.indexOf("PROD_PROD") > -1){
  vEnv = "../QvAJAXZfc/opendoc.htm?document=PROD_PROD_EBIA_IT_";
} else { //We must be in the desktop client, or an unknown environment.  Use a relative document path.
  vEnv = relPathToAbs("../");
  vBrow = "";
  vNonBrow = "";
}
return vEnv;

Where vBrow and vNonBrow are different mounts on the QV server that determine if the apps are exposed on the access portal or not.  This works perfectly up until users are doing dashboard development with the Qlik Desktop client and are using .qvw's on a file share (like \\<servername>\Dashboard\) I want to be able to build the URL so in my menu I can have links like this:"<li><a href='"+vEnv+vNonBrow+"%2FExecutiveDashboard_Summary.qvw'>Summary</a></li>" the .qvw's I want to link to are all in the same directory so If I could get the path of the application running the extension I should be able to point directly to the .qvw, right?

Does anyone know a way to get the path of the .qvw that is running the extension?