Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
James_Wilts19
Contributor
Contributor

QlikView - Backing up CAL - missing IniData.pgo

Hi.

We recently had an issue where all 160 of our CALs were unassigned from users for some unknown reason. Because no one had backed up the relevant PGO files, each licence had to be re-assigned manually.

Since then, we have become aware of Qlik's advice for backing up certain PGO files from C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\Documents and C:\ProgramData\QlikTech\QlikViewServer  to use to restore assigned CALs. However, although we have done this, in both locations, the IniData.pgo file was not there and therefore couldn't be backed up.

Does anyone know the significance of this and why these files aren't present?

Thanks

James.

Labels (5)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

James, the key pgo file in this case is the CalData.pgo, the others are really not that important, as they will regenerate and repopulate.  The IniData.pgo is simply the contents of the Settings.ini file, the BorrowedCalData.pgo is your license leases, but the clients maintain information on the lease, so they will basically make a request and repopulate that one automatically.  The TicketData.pgo is just the tickets the QVS generates for the new user sessions, those come and go within a couple of minutes, so no need to worry about backing that one up either.  

So again, the main one you want to be sure you have a backup for is the CalData.pgo, as that has all your Named and Document CAL info in it.  Regarding what caused things to disappear, if someone by chance went into the License Limitations and did something there, that is one possibility, the other would be a change to the LEF information, and the last thing would be something just getting corrupted, but in a single node setup, this should not happen unless you have not de-activated active scanning anti-virus etc....

That is about the best I have, shout back if you have further questions, but hopefully this helps.  Here is a Help link to things too:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2019/Subsystems/Server/Content/QV_Server/QlikView-Server/Q...

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/qlikview/April2019/Subsystems/Server/Content/QV_Server/QlikView-Server/Q...

Hopefully that will help a little further.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

James, the key pgo file in this case is the CalData.pgo, the others are really not that important, as they will regenerate and repopulate.  The IniData.pgo is simply the contents of the Settings.ini file, the BorrowedCalData.pgo is your license leases, but the clients maintain information on the lease, so they will basically make a request and repopulate that one automatically.  The TicketData.pgo is just the tickets the QVS generates for the new user sessions, those come and go within a couple of minutes, so no need to worry about backing that one up either.  

So again, the main one you want to be sure you have a backup for is the CalData.pgo, as that has all your Named and Document CAL info in it.  Regarding what caused things to disappear, if someone by chance went into the License Limitations and did something there, that is one possibility, the other would be a change to the LEF information, and the last thing would be something just getting corrupted, but in a single node setup, this should not happen unless you have not de-activated active scanning anti-virus etc....

That is about the best I have, shout back if you have further questions, but hopefully this helps.  Here is a Help link to things too:

Hopefully that will help a little further.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
James_Wilts19
Contributor
Contributor
Author

That's great. Thanks for your help Brett.

James.