Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

QlikView PDF

Hi,

i want to generate PDF Reports. It works fine, but the gauge chart doesn't show up correctly in the pdf. I also tried the bypass ghostscript option in the user setting, but this makes texts look ugly.

I am using PDF Creator with ghostscript. I assume that there has to be a setting in Ghostscript that has to be changed ?

Can somebody help ?

15 Replies
Not applicable
Author

We are having a similar problem using DeskPDF or Adobe Acrobat . This affects only the gauge charts in a report. Any ideas anyone ?

Thanks

Qlik_Trigg
Employee
Employee

Folks

Can you confirm that you are using QlikView 9.0 SR2 please? I see bugs were fixed in SR2 relating to gauges printing on PDF (or more accurately print preview).

Thanks

John Trigg

Global Product Manager - QlikView Developer

Not applicable
Author

Hi John,

I am on QVS 8.5 SR 5.

Not applicable
Author

Hello John,

I've just upgraded from Qlikview 9 SR1 to SR2, but the problem remains. Print Previews work fine within Qlikview, but when we print to a PDF printer we get the following output:

Qlik_Trigg
Employee
Employee

Thanks Fabian, OliG. As this seems to be a consistent error in both 8.5 and 9.0 I am going to pass this into the support group for review.

Qlik_Trigg
Employee
Employee

So I was about to place a post on the forum last night with some suggestions I received from support when I had a crazy idea. Let me test this out. I am using CutePDF on my machine with 9.0SR2. I create a report with a bunch of gauges, all looked fine in preview, all looked fine when i generated the PDF. When i reopened the PDF I saw the same grey image for each dial build slowly on my PDF.

So I decided to apply the advice I'd received from support - here is the advice in its entirety

Here are a few options you can try to improve PDF printing:

1. In QV, go to Settings > User Preferences > Printing. If the "Bypass Postscript for Printing (slow)" is checked, then uncheck it and perform a print test. If the "Bypass Postscript for Printing (slow)" is unchecked, then check it and perform a print test.
  2. Try reducing the print resolution reduced the file size and the time taken to generate the report with minimal loss of quality.
  3. Trying another PDF printer driver that's available out there, Adobe PDF, CutePDF etc. Some seem to perform better under certain conditions and Printers.
  4. Printing by File > Print > print to PDF sometime provide better print quality then via Reports > (Choose report).

I checked #1 - "Bypass Postscript". In my instance, this flag was unchecked. So I checked it. Re ran my report. Preview - fine, print to PDF - fine & when I now reopen the PDF I see the gauges as expected.

I've included both resulting PDFs from my tests.

Do these options resolve your problems? Let me know

Regards

John T

Not applicable
Author

Hi John,

as i wrote in my initial post, i already tried this option. Indeed, it works for the gauge chart, but with the drawback, that all fonts turn ugly.

I thought mybe there is an option or parameter for ghostscript, so that the gauge chart is printed correctly. I tried on pdf Printer called PDF X-Change 3.0. This printer is able to priont the gauge chart correctly.

Qlik_Trigg
Employee
Employee

Fabian

Have retested this and I am not seeing the same issues with the CutePDF driver that I am using. Can you forward a copy (scrambled?) of your report that shows the text inthe PDF?

Not applicable
Author

Hi John,

i finally found some time to deal with the issue again.

Here are 2 Files with Test date.

1. With "bypass" option activatet. --> Ugly Fonts

2. Without Bypass -> Gauge and funnel not displayed correctly.

I did the pdf conversion with pdf creator and ghostscript 8.54.

I also tried some other PDF Converters, including the one from QlikView with the same result.