Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
datanibbler
Champion
Champion

QlikView - any ebooks available?

Hi,

I just started work at a company where QlikView is just being deployed. I am new to the QV world myself, though I have worked with similar tools, and I'm going to be more or less the one in charge of the whole story. So at the moment I am reaching in all directions at once to learn as much as I can as fast as I can. There is some on-site QV training scheduled, but that's three weeks away and I want to make the best possible use of that time so I can already fire off some in-depth questions during the training.

What I am considering is that I spend upwards of 2h per day on the train between my home and my workplace. That's time I can use, at least partly, to read up on QlikView. That's why I'm asking if there is any ebook material available on QlikView.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler   

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable

You're welcome . Please do mind that converting from PDF to another format can be quiet hard, resulting is badly converted docs (see http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conversion.html#pdfconversion) .

I guess it would still be wiser to get an actual ePUB or MOBI file, and convert this to the required format.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

this is myself - cannot edit the post for some reason. I forgot to say, amazon is not an option for me, they seem to only sell ebooks in .kindle format (they don't actually tell which format an ebook is in, so I assume it's .kindle only) and that's one of the few formats my Kobo can't read...

Best regards,

DataNibbler

jagan
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

Check this link

http://community.qlik.com/message/147065#147065

I think Qlikview Reference Manual and Qlikview Help document are the best books.  You can download in qlikview site.

http://community.qlik.com/docs/DOC-1794

Hope this helps you.

Regards,

Jagan.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi Jagan,

thanks for helping! However, the manual is 1,000 pages, 12MB, with a lot of screenshots. Several factors keep me from using that as an ebook:

- It's a pdf which is somewhat awkward to read on an E_Ink display (since it shrinks to fit and I have to do a lot of zooming to read it).

- On my private laptop I have Linux (Lubuntu) and there's no freeware pdf_to_epub_converter available afaIk.

- My authorizations on this (work) PC are extremely limited, I cannot install anything and I cannot connect my private hardware (so I would be having trouble copying the manual to my eReader)

Well, I'll try anyway.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

Gysbert_Wassenaar

Qlikview 11 for Developers is currently the best book available imho.

edit: uhm, really.... is it that hard to find the available ebook formats on that page?

bla.PNG

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi,

sorry for the somewhat delayed reply, it's all a bit chaotic here. The description on that bookshop's Website sounds quite good. I guess that book includes the SQL needed to program and streamline QlikView load_scripts, formulas and so on?

I'll talk to my superior about acquiring that.

The only "problem" I see is that when choosing to buy this as an ebook, it seems like what I'm going to get is a pdf. In my eyes, that's just two different things: A pdf is NOT an ebook, pdf is very awkward to read on an eInk_display. I will have another go at looking for a pdf->epub converter for a Linux system.

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,

DataNibbler

P.S.: @ Gysbert

Ah - no, actually it is not hard to see. The thing is, unless you don't get the option to select a format until relatively late in the purchasing process - if indeed there is such an option. I didn't try it out because I didn't want to risk ending up with an unintentional purchase.

Not applicable

Abou the tool to convert PDF's to ePUBs:

Do have a look at Calibre: http://calibre-ebook.com/ . It is available for Linux.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Thanks michelkr!

That is helpful. I don't know where we (the  company) can/ will order that book and whether there will be the possibility of ordering it in epub format or in pdf only, but it's reassuring to know that there's a possibility to convert it.

Best regards,

DataNibbler

Not applicable

You're welcome . Please do mind that converting from PDF to another format can be quiet hard, resulting is badly converted docs (see http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/conversion.html#pdfconversion) .

I guess it would still be wiser to get an actual ePUB or MOBI file, and convert this to the required format.

datanibbler
Champion
Champion
Author

Hi michelkr,

I guess this is actually the wrong place for such a question, but: Do you know how things go when my company purchases a book in epub format? I guess that will be DRM protected like most and you need a license key to read it. Is that then bound to whoever_does_the_purchasing's license key? Can I then read it on my eReader at all, and will the company's "ownership" of the ebook be maintained so anyone else can also read it?

Thanks a lot any way!

Best regards,

DataNibbler