cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JacobT
Partner - Contributor III

QlikView upgrade to 12.50 questions

We have a planned upgrade of a customers enviroment in August/September.

We are upgrading  from 12.10 > 12.50.
I took some time reading about known problems and found:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Support-Updates-Blog/Issues-with-QlikView-12-50-and-NPrinting/ba-...

https://da3hntz84uekx.cloudfront.net/NPrinting/20.10.2/201020/Qlik%20NPrinting%20April%202020%20Rele...

How many of theese problems are solved since the release?

Also I could not find any document describing the nPrint version compability. 

The nPrint we have is 19.19.4.0, June 2019.. Does that work with QlikView 12.50 and the other way around?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Or
MVP
MVP

My recommendation: don't.

I would steer clear of 12.5. It has been out for two months and multiple stability / compatibility issues have already been uncovered. Wait at least until there is a major service release, and even then, I'd recommend very thoroughly testing it before installing. If you're aiming for August, you're probably better off with 12.4. Additionally, with 12.5, *all* dimensions export as text (this can't be changed) and all expressions export as a number only if they are explicitly formatted as a number in the "Number settings" tab. Formatting as Num() in the expression itself isn't enough, which means you can no longer export expressions as numbers if they are dynamically formatted (e.g. the same column might have different formats based on the content). This is a "feature", not a bug, supposedly.

I'm coming off a failed upgrade to 12.5 where we had too many major issues (including the NPrinting and qv.exe issues in the linked post) and had to roll back to our previous version. Knowing what I do today, I recommend going with an older, stable version rather than one that clearly doesn't work well.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Or
MVP
MVP

My recommendation: don't.

I would steer clear of 12.5. It has been out for two months and multiple stability / compatibility issues have already been uncovered. Wait at least until there is a major service release, and even then, I'd recommend very thoroughly testing it before installing. If you're aiming for August, you're probably better off with 12.4. Additionally, with 12.5, *all* dimensions export as text (this can't be changed) and all expressions export as a number only if they are explicitly formatted as a number in the "Number settings" tab. Formatting as Num() in the expression itself isn't enough, which means you can no longer export expressions as numbers if they are dynamically formatted (e.g. the same column might have different formats based on the content). This is a "feature", not a bug, supposedly.

I'm coming off a failed upgrade to 12.5 where we had too many major issues (including the NPrinting and qv.exe issues in the linked post) and had to roll back to our previous version. Knowing what I do today, I recommend going with an older, stable version rather than one that clearly doesn't work well.

JacobT
Author

As expected, great  input!

12.4 Works with nPrint 19.19.4.0 / june and other way around I assume?

Or
MVP
MVP

I haven't tested this particular combination but I see no reason why it would not work. My understanding is that the compatibility issue with 12.5 is due to the changes Qlik made to the exporting mechanism in that version, so previous versions shouldn't display any particular issues in this regard. That said, this is something you'd probably want to confirm with your own tests and/or run by Qlik itself or a Qlik Partner (which you are, based on your tag).

JacobT
Author

We spent some time looking into this and we decided to go for 12.4 instead. Thank you for great input!