Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
anonymous1
Contributor III
Contributor III

Qlikview ETL

hi, 

im trying to understand a clients ETL approach.  how can i tell how many fact/dimension tables they have by looking at the table viewer? how do i determine between them

regards

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Gysbert_Wassenaar

If you have a qlikview document that has a nice star model then you can probably find the fact table in the table viewer as the table that has to most links to other tables. The other tables will be the dimension tables. And you can always use the preview function to get an idea of the data the table contains. That should give you information to guess if you're dealing with a fact or with a dimension table.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand

View solution in original post

3 Replies
fkeuroglian
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi How are you?

Is there no a simple way an automatic way to see this that you question.

Fact/dimension table, depends on the "tYpe" of information you have in each table, my suggestion is start to understand the data that you have in the model, and then you will can count or say the number or tables that are dimension or fact tables.

Hope Help

Fernando

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Check out the Design Blog area of Community:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Design-Blog/bg-p/qlik-design-blog

You can use the search box on that page to search for the topics you want to get more information upon, there are hundreds of posts out here on how to do things etc., so hopefully this will get you want you need.  You can also use the Help site as well: Help.qlik.com.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
Gysbert_Wassenaar

If you have a qlikview document that has a nice star model then you can probably find the fact table in the table viewer as the table that has to most links to other tables. The other tables will be the dimension tables. And you can always use the preview function to get an idea of the data the table contains. That should give you information to guess if you're dealing with a fact or with a dimension table.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand