Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
CVR
Creator
Creator

Question regarding accessing the publisher and server

Hello Qlik Geeks,

I have few questions regarding QVW , QMC, and server

1. What happens If a qvw is opened by a developer on his desktop from source documents server and at the same time QMC starts reloading distributing the same qvw file to access point ?

2. How this distribution of QVW from QMC works? If an end user opened the file from access point and same file is being distributed to access point.

Thanks in Advance,

CVR

Labels (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Vegar
MVP
MVP

1. The qmc will run the distribution on the stored qvw file, not the unsaved edits in the developer's working copy.

If the qvw is stored by the qmc while a developer is working then the developer will get prompted that a newer version exists when trying to save the qvw. The developer can choose to overwrite the application.

2. When updating a access point qvw the users will notice a short delay in the next selection/navigation after the update has been completed. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Vegar
MVP
MVP

1. The qmc will run the distribution on the stored qvw file, not the unsaved edits in the developer's working copy.

If the qvw is stored by the qmc while a developer is working then the developer will get prompted that a newer version exists when trying to save the qvw. The developer can choose to overwrite the application.

2. When updating a access point qvw the users will notice a short delay in the next selection/navigation after the update has been completed. 

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

I believe Vegar is on track with things, but it really boils down to whether when the developer opens the app whether they have the exclusive lock on the file at that point or not, as if they do, then the Publisher Reload will likely fail, as it would not be able to get the lock, which would mean it would not be able to save the file post reload...  That is really the crux of your issue on this one.  

I would recommend using a Staging folder to be sure you do not mess up  your production, have the developers copy the current Source doc to the Staging folder, they do their work there and when complete, they move it back to Source Docs folder overwriting the current version etc. and then delete it from Staging...  That is about the best way to go at things of which I can think.

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.