Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Regarding Star schema to a single table

Hello Friends,

I am new to QlikView, can we convert star schema to one table in QlikView, if so why and if not even why?

please let me know.

Thank you in advance.

Jeevi

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
10 Replies
devarasu07
Master II
Master II

Hi Jeevi,

It's depends upon your Business requirement and volume of your data. I would suggest to go with Star Schema model always because Star schema will usually result in the best performance for Qlikview applications.

Star Schema Emphasizes deep dive to check for different combinations by facilitating quick analytics in terms of query performance.

The reason why i don't go for Flat table can be a real nightmare to query against huge volumes of data.

In simpler words, Star Schema is as comfortable as having a Kitchen,DiningRoom,Bedroom,DrawingRoom,Bathroom etc in house rather having a single room for everything. Data FETCH becomes easier in Star Schema.

Hope this help you

Regards,

Deva

Not applicable
Author

Thank you so much guys, I appreciate your time!

Jeevi

Siva_Sankar
Master II
Master II

DM.JPG

Not applicable
Author

Thank you!

ahaahaaha
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi Jeevi,

Normalization of the structure of tables, ie. transition from one table to several related tables, is used to avoid duplication of data. This reduces the amount of memory used in the computer's memory. Accordingly, merging the data of several tables into one results in an increase in occupied memory due to the appearance of duplicate data.

There are no strict rules for organizing the structure of data tables, there are best practices and recommendations. With small amounts of data it does not really matter which of the two options to use.

Regards,

Andrey

oknotsen
Master III
Master III

If your question is now answered, please flag the Correct Answer (via the big "Correct Answer" button near every post).

If not, please make clear what part of this topic you still need help with .

May you live in interesting times!
Not applicable
Author

Thank you Andrey!

imsushantjain
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Can anybody explain why Single Table is bad for RAM Consumption and Script Run Time?