Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Reload with Control-M

I have a problem with the Reload process.
Currently incremental load processes and the final application is made ​​through Control-M. The way it is done is with an executable which request QlikView through command line.
The problem is that sometimes the two processes run smoothly and others just run the incremental load, the application does not load but make no mistake. There is no pattern of failure, just sometimes does and sometimes not.
any idea what might be happening?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

So you may be able to improves the process by using the Qlikview Server scheduling facilities. If you need Control-M to trigger the first task (because of non-QV workflow), you can do that in a couple of ways.

a) Define a Reload task GENERATEMPORAL.qvw with an "External Event" trigger and use the EDX facility to trigger the task.

b) Define a reload task for Market Basket.qvw that triggers on completion of GENERATEMPORAL.qvw.

Or

2. Continue to load commandline as you did before, but use QlikviewDistributionService.exe instead of qv.exe The former does not require a GUI. Pay attention to the note in section 25.2 of the QVS Ref Guide.

-Rob

View solution in original post

10 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I think I don't completely understand your setting, maybe you could clarify:

I would assume that CTRL-M from within QlikView would open the macro or module editor and not start a reload,

so probably you use this short key in a different context?

Have you enabled the application log file (Settings- Doument Properties - general tab -enable logfile)? If yes, do you see anything different here between passed and failed runs?

Regards,

Stefan

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Stefan.

When the reload is no successfull, the log file only says:

11/29/2011 7:28:41 AM:      Execution started.

11/29/2011 7:28:41 AM:      QlikView Version:10.00.9055.7

But only these, doesn't appear a error.

Control-M executes the next batch file:

QV.exe /r "E:\Market Basket\Procesos Intermedios\Integracion QVD\Integracion GENERA TEMPORAL.qvw"

QV.exe /r "E:\Market Basket\Aplicacion\Market Basket.qvw"

The problem is that sometimes the reload is correcto for both process and some times only for the first of them.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Stefan.

When the reload is no successfull, the log file only says:

11/29/2011 7:28:41 AM:      Execution started.

11/29/2011 7:28:41 AM:      QlikView Version:10.00.9055.7

But only these, doesn't appear a error.

Control-M executes the next batch file:

QV.exe /r "E:\Market Basket\Procesos Intermedios\Integracion QVD\Integracion GENERA TEMPORAL.qvw"

QV.exe /r "E:\Market Basket\Aplicacion\Market Basket.qvw"

The problem is that sometimes the reload is correcto for both process and some times only for the first of them.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

By Control-M, I assume you mean the scheduling product.

Using Qv.exe to do reloads can be kind of problematic because of the interactive and GUI nature. You have to run in a virtual machine or a borrowed desktop  QV.exe expects it's dealing with a person -- messages can get missed. Check the windows event application log to see if there are any Application Popup messages.

Do you have Qlikview server installed?

-Rob

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi rob,

Yes I have Qlikview Server installed.

Roger.

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

So you may be able to improves the process by using the Qlikview Server scheduling facilities. If you need Control-M to trigger the first task (because of non-QV workflow), you can do that in a couple of ways.

a) Define a Reload task GENERATEMPORAL.qvw with an "External Event" trigger and use the EDX facility to trigger the task.

b) Define a reload task for Market Basket.qvw that triggers on completion of GENERATEMPORAL.qvw.

Or

2. Continue to load commandline as you did before, but use QlikviewDistributionService.exe instead of qv.exe The former does not require a GUI. Pay attention to the note in section 25.2 of the QVS Ref Guide.

-Rob

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you Rob, I'll try these methods.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you Rob, I used the QlikviewDistributionService.exe anda this work very fine.

An other problem that we found was that the memory was exhausted, we fixed this problem with the comand "NET STOP QVS.exe" before to start the comand to reload, and we use "NET START QVS.exe" after the reload comand lines, with this the we are sure that the memory is not exhausted.

Roger.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hello!!

I'm having problem planing the reloads with control-M. Have you solved this problem?

I really not understand how i have to do it in the way Rob explains.

Thanks