Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sean_BI
Creator
Creator

Replication of qvd and qvw qlikview

Dear Qv experts

I have a challenge in moving qvd files from DC SAN drive to DR SAN drive due to network bandwidth speed using control-M.

The size of qvd files 300 GB daily refresh and are 400 GB monthly refresh. 

Are there any robust approaches that are normally followed in this situation.

Rgds,

Sean.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Sean_BI
Creator
Creator
Author

Thank you Brett.  This is resolved and you are right,  as the folders share should be shared between nodes in a cluster and that was exactly the issue was. It is resolved now. 

I have another issue, on how to make qlik files (Qvd's and qvw's) replication from one server (DC) to another server (DR). The NAS drive  (i understand NAS not fully supported for qlikview) , but i have no choice. 

The root directory in QMC is pointed to NAS location (full UNC path) and NAS location was mapped to windows server where qlikview is installed and configured. i.e click on "This PC", select "Map Network Drive", choose a drive and browse the UNC path where qvd, qvw's and .pgo files are saved. When i do, the qvd's reload time is low. Taking more time to refresh compared to SAN. Is this could be due to network speed and low disk response time. 

Using NAS was the only way for replication. any other standard approach for files replication other than NAS.

Rgds,

Sean.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Sean_BI
Creator
Creator
Author

Another thought this can be done i guess, 

Step1:

Create a schedule to push qvd and qvw's from production SAN (E:\) to NAS drive

Step2:

NAS drive have high speed data transfer and replicate the moved files to DR NAS drive.

Step3:

Once qvd's and qvw's are moved to DR server, the using schedule push to DR SAN (E:\) drive.

Step4:

Check the results. example test.qvd is moved from DC (SAN) to DC (NAS) and check if test.qvd is pushed from DR (NAS) to DR (SAN).

Any thoughts on this please. 

Thanks,

Sean.

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Sean, what about compressing the QVDs first, then use RoboCopy to move them and decompress on DR side?  I cannot recall how well QVD files compress though, I know QVW normally does not do much, but I seem to recall QVDs should respond better, but I am not sure.  

If you solution works though, that should be fine, the NAS in the interim should not be an issue, as we are not hitting that you are just using it as part of your file xfer...  The only other thing would be dedicated high-speed connection point to point, like dark fiber etc., which is not going to be cheap...

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
Sean_BI
Creator
Creator
Author

thanks brett. 

I agree Robocopy is an efficient method for file transfers. However, there are some IT compliance within organisation restricting on using robocopy from DC to DR server.

2) SAN to NAS and then NAS to SAN is ruled out, due to Control-M (san to nas) speed not more than 10 kpbs again IT compliance within organisation.

3) The only one left now is NAS storage which has high speed fiber connectivity (auto replication) and is allowed within the organisation. But, there is a service a/c privileges issue where in EDX task are failed due to "write access"  when root directory is pointed to NAS network drive. It works fined when the QMC root directory is pointed to D;\ or E:\ but fails when it is pointed to NAS network drive.  Also, i log in to windows 2016 server through a functional id (FA123) and (FA456) both are members of local administrative group.

The issue is

a) Create a qvd or qvw file using id FA123 and save in Production NAS drive(//10.2.33.01/QV_DC/test.qvw).-- This is pass no issue.

b) Log into DR server and check the NAS drive (//10.23.33.02/QV_DR/test.qvw). No issue here.

c) Open  test.qvw in DR and try to save it. I doesn't allow me to save the document because, the test.qvw is created in dc with function id FA123, and the same function id should be used to log into DR for read / write privilege on that object. This is absolutely ridiculous.  I am unsure how this should be resolved as all the id's like Function id and service id are members of qv server and windows administrators group.

Appreciate any help here.

Rgds

Sean.

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Hey Sean, only thing you did no mention, and you may have in initial post, so sorry if I missed it there, but is Section Access involved here?  If so, that is the only thing of which I can think that may be causing issues, it would have to be Settings\Document Properties\Security tab settings\Save Document setting I think, only other thing that comes to mind on this one...  What are the NTFS rights on the file when it is copied to DR?  That would be the only other thing, OS specifying specific NTFS rights etc. versus having the file inherit permissions from the NAS folder...

Cheers,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
Sean_BI
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks for your quick response.

No section access is given to none of the documents.

I had a detailed meeting with windows (wintel) team on the file/folder level privileges. It appears after the NAS mount path, in need to create another directory (folder) and grant "FULL" writes on the newly created folder/directory for all the ID's getting used to log in to server and services (incl service account) which are member of domain users (client domain). 

This way now i can read and write the files (qvws, qvd) moved to DC to DR.

But i a bit worried, using NAS drive, as this is used to build the dashboard and need to point to root directory in QMC. My fingers crossed on how soon the task, or manual rebuild takes.

Rgds,

Sean.

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Sean, I am pretty sure we do have a handful of customers that use NAS, it is officially unsupported in QlikView yet, but if the team that manages things has it configured to be speedy in its responses etc., basically mimic SAN etc., I would suspect you should be ok here, that is the feedback I have received from those that do use it, the configuration is key point, if that is right and the unit is newer variety, I would venture you may come out ok here.  If that will only be used in DR, it is not like it is going to be a constant thing either, just until you can get things back online etc., so hopefully that may work out in the interim.  You can mark your last post as the solution if you want, but if you want to wait and post how things go, that is fine too.  

Cheers,
Brett

Sean_BI
Creator
Creator
Author

Hi Brett, Sorry to respond on this post lately as i was side track with other things. May be you can help here. I was trying to change the root dirctory (Document folder) in QMC from a SAN drive (F$\) where it was previously, to another drive ie D:\, [where the qv is installed] the QMC is not allowing to apply changes. It says "some settings are not saved:" "Document folder d:\xxx\yyyy does not exists. " "Mount folder d:\abc\123\ does not exists" Troubleshooting 1) Verified service id has all the necessary privilages to both d:\ and f$ drive (Full control) 2) The service id is member of local QV and administrator group. 3) The .pgo files are recopied from C:\QlikTech folder to Document folder (D:\xxx\yyyy) 4) Restarted the windows server and qv services multiple times, and relaunch the QMC from start menu. 5) The QMC root folder is still pointing to f$\. 6) I even tried to point the root folder to NAS drive which is mapped to window's server, but still it not applying the changes. Any thought you may have here pls. Also, can you tell me if i can make the NAS drive as my document directory and for saving my qvd's. Rgds, Sean.
Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Have a look at the following Article, that should allow you to check how you did things etc. to see if that may be the issue.  The only other thing of which I can think is something up with the QVPR file in question here not being able to update that entry, so you may want to bump QMS logging to High/Debug level and then try things and then check the QMS log, as that should throw something there to provide more clues...

Forgot to post the link:

https://support.qlik.com/articles/000004112 

Regards,
Brett

Sean_BI
Creator
Creator
Author

Thank you Brett. 

I dont see issue with QVPR files in the logs. 

What i see is,

in node2 where qvs service is running is unable to locate the root directory configured in node1 i.e D\qv documents and node2 is creating a similar directory structure that is in node1 ie. D\qv documents. This should not be the case, because, the folder where dashboard are saved are shared to node2.

Node2 is unable to register the root directory that is configured in QMC. Somehow, the previous directory is still getting reference in node2.

Refer to attachment on the set up. 

Rgds,

Sean.