Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Sage Evolution 7 and OLE DB help for a newbie

Hello everyone,

My head exploded when I tried to build a report after connecting to Sage to build some reports. There are so many tables with strange names, which left me more clueless (I am very new to QV) .

Is there anyone that has done this before that would mind sharing some insight of some type?

Below is an example of the tale types - where to start?

Evo Tables gibbirish.JPG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
oknotsen
Master III
Master III

First stop would probably be the supplier of the database / program that uses the database and (I know, sounds naïve) ask them for an explanation of their data model. Next stop would be the documentation of the software/database (and complain to the supplier of the software if this is not available).

Now the above probably will take some time and might not give you much to work with. So alternatively I would look for a copy of that database with (limited) test data and bluntly start loading tables into QlikView. With a little bit of luck this will give you an idea of how the different tables are connected. Since you might get a lot of syn. keys, be sure to switch to "Source table view".

That should get you a few steps into the right direction.

May you live in interesting times!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
oknotsen
Master III
Master III

First stop would probably be the supplier of the database / program that uses the database and (I know, sounds naïve) ask them for an explanation of their data model. Next stop would be the documentation of the software/database (and complain to the supplier of the software if this is not available).

Now the above probably will take some time and might not give you much to work with. So alternatively I would look for a copy of that database with (limited) test data and bluntly start loading tables into QlikView. With a little bit of luck this will give you an idea of how the different tables are connected. Since you might get a lot of syn. keys, be sure to switch to "Source table view".

That should get you a few steps into the right direction.

May you live in interesting times!
Not applicable
Author

Hi there,

Thanks for taking time to answer.

I'll try this so long