Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vijaysahu2
Creator
Creator

Section Access: No access type used

Hi All

Do we really need to add 'ACCESS' column with defined role (ADMIN or USER) in Section Access Script. If I do not mention this the what default role does it take?

Because In one of our dashboard script is written as below:

SECTION ACCESS;

Sec1:

REPLACE LOAD * ;

SQL SELECT DISTINCT UPPER(Col1) AS 'NTNAME', UPPER(Col2) as 'Col2'

FROM MyTable;

SECTION APPLICATION;

Can you please explain me what this doing?

Thanks

Vijay Sahu

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

No, it means the users are identified by their credentials in the system (either Windows AD or whatever security directory you are using), instead of being prompted for a username and a password.

The ACCESS field is complementary to those.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

You must.

• ADMIN identifies users who can open the app using QlikView Desktop and therefore have full access to edit the file, delete objects, reload, etc.
  • USER identifies everyone else, regardless whether or not they can see all data or only a reduced set
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

As for the script, it creates a section access table with the account name of the user in the form DIRECTORY\USERNAME and COL2 which I guess is a field to reduce which data set can each user see.

vijaysahu2
Creator
Creator
Author

Thanks Miguel..

But my existing dashboard has a code written mentioned above and this dashboard is running on PROD. I am not clear what this code is populating then. Is this code incorrect?

Thanks

Vijay Sahu

vijaysahu2
Creator
Creator
Author

Yes this is has a data in form of DIRECTORY\USERNAME for 'NTNAME'. Does it mean that do not need to mention ACCESS type.

I can also see  under Document properties --> Opening --> Intial Data reduction based on section access and strict exclusion are checked.

Thanks

Vijay Sahu

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

You can lock yourself out of the application if there are no ADMIN defined. Add that column for all ADMINs and USER for the rest.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

No, it means the users are identified by their credentials in the system (either Windows AD or whatever security directory you are using), instead of being prompted for a username and a password.

The ACCESS field is complementary to those.

vijaysahu2
Creator
Creator
Author

Thank you very much. Its clear now.. This Section Access has script after SECTION APPLICATION which is again populating data form some tables which are link to COL2 mention in Section Access Script part.

Now I am getting it. Thank you very much.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

You are most welcome.

That is correct. Section Access however can be used at any point in the script, all what matters is that the fields are following the conventions (e.g.: field names and field values all UPPERCASE) and when the user logs in, the record with his username is checked for a reduction and applied.

It behaves the same as if you click on a username and go to File > Reduce Data > Keep Possible Values