Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Section Access - Work around for * logic

We have a report where we need to provide section access based on Teacher name:

Eg: If Class teacher (Ann) handles 2 students, I only want those students marks to be view-able for him/her.

Please find example table below:

Class Teacher

Class

Student Name

Ann

5th

A1

Ann

5th

A2

Sue

5th

B1

Mary

7th

B2

Jack

• Ann should see only marks of A1 and A2.
  • Sue should see marks of B1.
  • Mary should see marks of B2.

This being said, I don't want to set it this way for all class teachers. The Principal (Jack) will have to view all students’ data.

• Jack should see marks of all students in the school (A1,A2,B1,B2 and the rest)

Using * logic is not possible, as I will have to have all students’ name in the section access file to achieve this. The number of students maybe around 200 and having that many entry isn’t optimal. Also, the number of students will keep increasing.

Please let me know if there is any work around for achieving this.

3 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

You could create a LINK table in your section application that links all Student Name values with itself and with another value 'ALL':

LINK:

LOAD [Student Name], Upper([Student Name]) as  REDUCTION

RESIDENT YourStudentTable;

CONCATENATE (LINK)

LOAD [Student Name], 'ALL' as  REDUCTION

RESIDENT YourStudentTable;

Then, in your section access table, use field REDUCTION to filter the students and use value ALL for the principal.

edit: I think you should use upper case values for the reduction field (also for the field name).

Ricardo_Gerhard
Employee
Employee

Dear Jibin,

Below a few explains and suggestions:

- Section Access, when applied with reduction, need to set all users access. If you don´t select this users from a file or database, this teachers will not be linked in a correct students;

- The option "*" you don´t need if you want to set "all users". You can use just a blank field.

- When we use a environment when users on section access made changes and need permit, we create a simple/routine code with separate situations: the defined users and the other with * ou blank field. In you case, you can select from database this informations and create this code to format you table.

I hope help you.

Regards.

Ricardo Gerhard
OEM Solution Architect
LATAM
Not applicable
Author

Hi, could you prehaps use examples of this using ACCESS, NTNAME, and a REDUCTION field. Sorry I am not understanding it, I am fairly new to section access.