Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
florianmay
Contributor II
Contributor II

Section Access only on some tabs

Hello!

I have a QV-layout with six sheets and I want to create a special Section Access on it.

In the end, there should be two sheets, with all the data for everyone, two sheets, which are visible only for some users and two Sheets with data reduction for the different users.

I know how to reduce data and hide sheets, but is there a solution to cancel Section Access on specific sheets or do I have to divide it into two layouts to get this visibility?

Thanks,

Florian

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

In this way it's not possible. A classical section access effects the whole application by reducing data on the user-level.

There exists also versions which control the visibility of sheets/objects but they are more a kind of advanced usability then really secure because the data are further available within the application an if the user is capable to add/adjust objects he could access those data - whereby it may be sufficient fr your use-case.

Further there are also ways to mask certain data. To all of this topics you will find here valuable links: Section Access‌.

If this isn't an option and/or you prefer a rather pragmatic solution you could just use several specialized applications.

- Marcus

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Ricardo_Gerhard
Employee
Employee

Dear Floarina,

Section Access just perform a reduction in the data model. If you want to create a validation on multiple sheets, I recommend that you create a external control, withing conditions regarding the username and creating the rules on this sheets with variables.

Ricardo Gerhard
OEM Solution Architect
LATAM
marcus_sommer

In this way it's not possible. A classical section access effects the whole application by reducing data on the user-level.

There exists also versions which control the visibility of sheets/objects but they are more a kind of advanced usability then really secure because the data are further available within the application an if the user is capable to add/adjust objects he could access those data - whereby it may be sufficient fr your use-case.

Further there are also ways to mask certain data. To all of this topics you will find here valuable links: Section Access‌.

If this isn't an option and/or you prefer a rather pragmatic solution you could just use several specialized applications.

- Marcus

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You should be aware of two important characteristics of Section Access in QlikView:

• Section Access only applies to the data model in your document, and to no other content. This means that Section Access cannot control any other document features, but you can use techniques to let your reduced data model control visibility of sheets and objects.
  • Section Access is an all-or-nothing affair. Within the same document, you can't tell Section Access to limit itself to some parts or sheets and not apply to other parts or sheets.

If you want to show certain objects or sheets to specific users only, you can create control data in your load script that is tied to SA user accounts and determines whether objects and/or sheets should be visible to a particular user or not. The visibility itself is handled by Conditional Show expressions that check whether some data is currently available.

If you want to fill certain objects with data that is directly tied to the current user, use Section Access as a reduction mechanism. That user will not have access to more data than what you specify in Section Access.

But that means that you run into trouble if you want to show the full data set on the first two sheets at the same time as a reduced data set on some other sheets, for instance to show benchmarking data accross all departments, while the details on which these benchmarking measures are based should be reduced to those departments the user has access to. The trick here is to create a new part in your data model that is linked to every account in your SA table, but only contains aggregated/anonimized data for the objects on the first two sheets. You should make the tie-in with Section Access in such a way that those tables are not reduced.

Sounds complex, and it may be - depending on the requirements and complexity of your data environment. But as with everything else in QV, it remains extremely flexible.

Peter

florianmay
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thank you for your answers.

I didn´t really believe that this is possible, but i wanted to be sure.