Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Section Access query

Hi, I am new to qlikview and have a doubt with section access.

So, what i am looking for is a simple section access security with user id, password and OMIT options. I want a particular user to to view a certain fields.

To make it clear. Lets take an example.

I have a field called country which has 10 countries(US, GBR etc) as drop down. If I use OMIT in section access, i believe I can hide a particular field. In my case, if I omit country. the entire country field will be invisible. But, what I want is to omit a particular country from the field. ie: if i want to omit only GBR from the list of countries, how do I do it?

Can somebody help me with this?

Thanks in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

You are right, using OMIT the User will not see the field. Rather you need to use Field reduction. Something like this...

SECTION ACCESS;

LOAD * INLINE [

ACCESS, USERID, PASSWORD, COUNTRY

ADMIN, ADMIN, ADMIN,

USER, USER1, U1, USA

USER, USER2, U2, FRANCE

USER, USER3, U3, GBR

USER, USER3, U4, USA

USER, USER3, U4, FRANCE

USER, USER5, U5, *

];

Explanation :

USER1 will only see USA

USER2 will only see FRANCE

USER3 will only see GBR

USER4 will see everything except GBR (There are two rows in the above example, you need to add 9 rows in your case)

USER5 will see everything because I'm using "*" (Wild Card)

Please be very careful using the '*' (Wildcard) because it doesn't mean all the values in the Actual Field. It means distinct values you have specified in Section Access Table. Unless you have specified all the distinct values within Section Access.

In your Section Access example, you have specified Country values as {GBR,USA,FRANCE} but if your actual Country field contains{GBR,USA,FRANCE,GERMANY,INDIA,.....} then you won't see {GERMANY,INDIA,*****} rows even if the User has '*' in Section Access. It will ONLY take all the values from Section Access but not all the values from actual field.

I hope that makes sense.

I'm also attaching simple documentation on Section Access.

Good luck!

Cheers,

DV

www.QlikShare.com

View solution in original post

18 Replies
IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

You are right, using OMIT the User will not see the field. Rather you need to use Field reduction. Something like this...

SECTION ACCESS;

LOAD * INLINE [

ACCESS, USERID, PASSWORD, COUNTRY

ADMIN, ADMIN, ADMIN,

USER, USER1, U1, USA

USER, USER2, U2, FRANCE

USER, USER3, U3, GBR

USER, USER3, U4, USA

USER, USER3, U4, FRANCE

USER, USER5, U5, *

];

Explanation :

USER1 will only see USA

USER2 will only see FRANCE

USER3 will only see GBR

USER4 will see everything except GBR (There are two rows in the above example, you need to add 9 rows in your case)

USER5 will see everything because I'm using "*" (Wild Card)

Please be very careful using the '*' (Wildcard) because it doesn't mean all the values in the Actual Field. It means distinct values you have specified in Section Access Table. Unless you have specified all the distinct values within Section Access.

In your Section Access example, you have specified Country values as {GBR,USA,FRANCE} but if your actual Country field contains{GBR,USA,FRANCE,GERMANY,INDIA,.....} then you won't see {GERMANY,INDIA,*****} rows even if the User has '*' in Section Access. It will ONLY take all the values from Section Access but not all the values from actual field.

I hope that makes sense.

I'm also attaching simple documentation on Section Access.

Good luck!

Cheers,

DV

www.QlikShare.com

Not applicable
Author

hi

post sample file:)

Not applicable
Author

Hi Deepak,

Thanks a lot for the explaination..Really helps.

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

You're welcome. I'm planning to make series of video tutorials on Section Access and I'll update this thread once done. Please check QlikShare.com

Cheers,

DV

www.QlikShare.com

Not applicable
Author

Hi deepak,

its weird. I tried the your method but unfortunately, its not working. Is there any particular setting I should be sure off?

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

I think you need to turn on (Initial Data Reduction Based on Section Access). Please see the screenshot and also please check if you might need (Strict Exclusion) which is highly recommended. Please let me know if this doesn't work and make sure your COUNTRY field is in UPPER CASE.

Data Reduction.png

Cheers,

DV

www.QlikShare.com

Not applicable
Author

Hey, Its not working.. I am attaching a sample file..i need to restric the countries under cc unit.

Thanks

IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

That's strange but I'll look into it. I'm in transit and I'll get back to you soon.

Cheers,

DV

Not applicable
Author

Yes, it is strange..

Thanks for your help