Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Section Access restricting visibility to data

Hi

I have setup Section Access for our Monthly Sales Report. I have managed to restrict access by Account Manager but I also want to restrict visibility for a particular user/group of users so that they cannot see sales/budget values only volumes. I have tried reading the post on Section Access on the forum and all the sub sections of this but I can't find a scenario that matches what I need to do. Is it possible to do what I want?

sec1.JPG

This is my Section Access file as it stands at the moment and it works as I expect it to, restricting the users to products linked to their StockBDM code.

What I want to do is restrict the user JessicaPace to only be able to select volumes from this selection option.

sec3.JPG

and this is the script to display the above.

sec2.JPG

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Steve.

23 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi Colin

Tried that under my login to save me logging in and out every 5 minutes. Still allows me to select SALES VALUE from the list and displays data in the chart.

sec6.JPG

sec5.JPG

sec7.JPG

Thanks, Steve.

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

OMIT doesn't work that way. In the OMIT column you specify a field name. It that field cannot be found (as in your case) then it has been successfully omitted

Colin-Albert

Which fields exist in your data [SALES VALUE], [Sales Value] or both?

Can you test if the sales value data exists in a listbox rather than an ad-hoc chart, as OMIT should remove that field from the model for the user. Once you are certain that the data has been omitted correctly then look at getting the Ad-hoc chart correct.

Are you fully exiting the QV client and signing in again between tests to ensure that fresh credentials are used not cached credentials? To test section access means signing in and out a lot, there's no shortcut! Which client are you testing this on Ajax or desktop?

MK9885
Master II
Master II

Problem with section acces and OMIT

Find the correct answer by Miguel in above link, he has attached a sample qvw.

OMIT is used to limit the FIELDS

If you want to limit the values within the field then use that FIELDNAME and under that place VALUE.

Ex:

Section Access;

Load * Inline [

ACCESS, USERNAME, OMIT, COUNTRY

USER, USERNAME1, SALES, USA

ADMIN, ADMIN, *, *

USER, USERNAME2, ,

USER, USERNAME3, PROFIT, UK

];

Section Application;

In above example, COUNTRY is a Fieldname and it has values USA, UK etc....

USER1 will only see USA and USER3 will see only from UK while USER1 will not see SALES FIELD

sasikanth
Master
Master

HI,

Please find the attache Application.

username :ADMIN

Pwd: ADMIN

Usernmae: Jessica

pwd:            Jessica

Might be this is what you are looking for else please let us know

Not applicable
Author

Hi Sasi

Yes that is close to what I am looking for although I don't really want users to be having to enter a username and password. Thanks for the help.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Colin

I'm using the QV Desktop, V12. Yes I have been exiting the client and then reopening. What I can't find is how the %metric links back to fields generated by the QVDs we have that then work within the report.

The person who created the report is no longer contactable so I am at a bit of a loss with this one. Thanks for your help but I think this is going to require paid time with a consultant.

MK9885
Master II
Master II

Username and Password can be removed and instead of that use NTNAME.

As locally we can test SA by logging in as different users.

But if you remove those 2 fields and just use NTNAME the result should be same and it will restrict users based on NTNAME, both locally and on access point.

sasikanth
Master
Master

HI,

Try to replace USERID & PASWWORD with NTNAME in that case

Colin-Albert

The %metric will be used in a Conditional Show expression in the chart columns of your ad-hoc chart.
This is nothing to do with Section Access and is an Ad-Hoc chart issue. 

There is an example Ad-Hoc Chart in the "Whats New in V11" example app.

The show condition will be something like this

ad-hoc.JPG