Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lukacvetko
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Section access question

Hello all,

Maybe there is an option but I can't find it and I find it very weird.

So, we implemented section access in one application. After manual reload, we save the application and everything works fine and everyone has access. We used NTNAME column. Users and admins (that were defined in section access part of the script), everyone can access trough server.

Then I open the application again with the same user and lets say I decide to change something in front end, just enough that I can save the change, like add a dimension in pivot table. When I save the application, it first asks me to chose the save location, it doesn't just save, I overwrite current application, and suddenly users can't access the application, it says that access is forbidden for them. Weirdest part is, admins can access it and we have admins in different domains, so that can't be the domain problem

So, after manual reload everybody has access, and after I make a small change in application and save it, users get access denied.

Any input is appreciated.

Regards

10 Replies
adiarnon
Creator III
Creator III

i have the same problem!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Luka,

Please can you Post the script here.

Do you have publisher with your licence?

Regards

Neetha

jonathandienst
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Hi

This is because data reduction is enabled on the Document properties Opening tab combined with section access. QV will not automatically save the reduced document over the original. This is to ensure that you do not accidentally remove data that you cannot see, but that another use can, when they open the document.

This also applies to models that are manually reduced (using File | Reduce) and even if no actual reduction takes place.

Batch reloads using Qv.exe /R or server/publisher are not affected.

HTH

Jonathan

Logic will get you from a to b. Imagination will take you everywhere. - A Einstein
Not applicable

Hi Luka

That is not problem of section access

plz check the user that is saving have access on that document

qvw property security add that member

rohit214
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Luka,

Same problem i have faced .

how you are saving the application.

try that

after reload select right hand side top corner close button and then select  save.

Regards

Rohit

Anonymous
Not applicable

Guys,

This is normal.

When you open the document after you saved it after reload for the first time; it applies section access as well.

So let's say you opened it with USER1. Now the section table is reduced to USER1 only. And if you save it now after a few modifications, it saved it only for USER1 (since there is no other user value in the section table).

Now to avoid that you need to reload the document before saving. That is a general rule for section accessed documents.

BR

Serhan

lukacvetko
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

That is correct, thank you for clarifying. So, this mechanism applies no matter if USER1 has access to all the data and it is defined as Admin?

And why did the other Admins (defined as admins in section access part of script) have access after the Save and Users (defined as users in section access part of script) didn't?

This might be problematic for applications that have section access applied but take more time to reload.

Regards,

Luka

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello Luka,

Hard to guess. May depend on how you implement it. I would specifically need to test that app. But I'm sure there would be an explanation for that.

Just from now on, apply reloading as best practice since it is exact.

BR

Serhan

lukacvetko
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Serhan,

Your explanation is correct. As a solution for our problem for now we are using a batch script. We are doing daily development on test application, and right before the automatic reload through management console starts, batch script overwrites original production application with the test application. That way customers have fresh data, with our fresh amends and upgrades from day before.

I would appreciate if anyone has any info about better practice. We have no Publisher licence.

Regards,

Luka