Qlik Community

New to QlikView

Discussion board where members can get started with QlikView.

Announcements

Breathe easy -- you now have more time to plan your next steps with Qlik!
QlikView 11.2 Extended Support is now valid through December 31, 2020. Click here for more information.

Not applicable

Seeking best practice for joining (multiple key?) tables.

First let me apologize in advance for my inaccurate terminology, I'm not a DB person.

That said, here's what I'm trying to accomplish and I would appreciate some experienced best-practice feedback.

I have 2 tables, a "call fact" table that records phone calls and an FAQ table that records a list of automated FAQs that were played to the caller.

The tables look something like this:

Call Fact:

Call IDCall CountFAQ key
ABC1123
DEF1456

FAQ Table (I believe the ID is auto-generated, thus allowing a single call above to link to multiple FAQs)

FAQ Key
ID
FAQ Name
1231Store Location FAQ
4562Store Location FAQ
4563Store Hours FAQ

What I ultimately want to be able to do is create a chart which displays total number of calls for each distinct FAQ Name.

Right now I'm using a "straight forward" join of the two tables, that seems to be okay. However I am having a little trouble with the

chart which makes me think maybe there's a more appropriate way to join the tables. The "trouble" I'm having is that I created a

chart with a dimension of [FAQ Name], and expected that I could just use =sum([Call Count]) as the expression. However if I

want the numbers to come out correctly, I have to use =count(DISTINCT [Call ID]) which, I believe, is not as efficient as sum([Call Count])

So question 1 is what is the best way to join these tables in my data model?

And question 2 is, what is the best dimension/expression for me to chart the desired metric?

Thanks,

Steve