Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MEJ
Contributor III
Contributor III

Select many records in a listbox instead of one at a time

I'm sure many have the same problems when being asked to look up many records (100 or more). 

Let's say I need to look up 100 invoices from an Excel-file. I would then need to look up one invoice at a time (select, press CTRL+Enter, and so on). This can take some time, especially if there are lots of records. Is there an easy way to "mass select" records from a predefined list of invoice numbers (or any other parameter)?

Thanks

4 Replies
andrei_delta
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

hi,

yes, it's possible.

you  can use this expression: '(' &Concat (DISTINCT chr(34)& YOUR FIELD & chr(34) ,'|' ) &')'

your values will look like this : ("A"|"B"|"C"|"D"|etc.) 

make a button -> actions-> select in field  -> Field: you put the field where you want to make the selections, Search String:you either paste the  expression "='(' &Concat (DISTINCT chr(34)& YOUR FIELD & chr(34) ,'|' ) &')'  "  or you can put the expression in a variable and put the variable there.

Hope this is what you are looking for,

Andrei

MEJ
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Andrei,

Sounds fantastic if it works. 

I created a button with the expression you created. However, I am not sure what is supposed to happen when pressing the button. Nothing happens. How do I copy the list of e.g. invoice numbers into the Invoice Number field? 

At what point do I press the button I created, and when/where do I enter the 100 invoice numbers?

Can I simply copy the 100 invoice numbers or do I need to create a string with different separators ("A"|"B"|"C"|"D"|)? I.e. transpose the Invoice numbers?

Exactly what is the purpose of chr(34)? I see that it has something to do with the sign ". Is it to define the quotation marks between invoice numbers?

andrei_delta
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi,

i made an example. You can use it without the double quotes within the string. 

You need to create a string with the separator | (pipeline). 

As for your data...i think the best solution is to copy the invoice numbers from your field into an excel and load it as an Island Table in your app and then use the expression i gave you to make the selection and that way you can change your invoice numbers every time you want.

MEJ
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you Andrew,

Not quite sure if this is the way I intended the solution. Maybe I misunderstand it.

I reloaded your QV application with a few more records (500+). I made random selections of approximately 50 invoice numbers. How would I mass-select these, instead of manually selecting them? There will be people (other than myself with no access reloading Qlikview) having to do these selections. This must then be done directly in the Qlikview applicaiton via the Intranet (plugin). I can of course do this myself in various ways, no problem, but for a normal QV user, I would like to have them enter a set of invoice numbers and have Qlikview select them in the List box. Or am I thinking wrongly?

/Mathias