Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
abhi1693r
Contributor II
Contributor II

Selecting multiple field values by selecting specified one field value.

Hi,

So I have made a multi-box with a field 'A' having three levels 1, 2 and 3. Now as multi-box works, I can filter the data by selecting 1,2 or 3 or a combination of these levels. My requirement is that if someone selects 2, 1 should automatically be selected and if someone selects 3, 1 and 2 should be auto selected. Is this possible?

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

It shouldn't be: (<=$(=max(A))) else <=$(=max(A)) or ="<=$(=max(A))" or "<=$(=max(A))"

- Marcus

View solution in original post

9 Replies
marcus_sommer

Personally I would rather try to avoid such selection-actions and implement the task with set analysis within the expressions, for example with something like:

sum({< Field = {"<=$(=max(Field))"}>} Value)

IMO even better would be the users select really all values which they want to see. It's not difficult and belonged to the basics of the Qlik usage (and principally to each BI tool) and has far more benefits as disadvantages, see for it: Let-the-User-Select .

- Marcus

abhi1693r
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Hey Marcus,

I am new to Qlikview. Didn't really understand the solution, sum({< Field = {"<=$(=max(Field))"}>} Value). Can you put it in context to my  problem and also where to write it.

marcus_sommer

Just replace Field with your field - above you called it A - this means then:

sum({< A = {"<=$(=max(A))"}>} Value)

- Marcus

abhi1693r
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Doesn't work. Value term is not getting recognized. 

marcus_sommer

You need to replace Value, too with those fields which you want to measure (and also replacing the sum() with count() or avg() or whatever you need).

- Marcus

abhi1693r
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

This solution is actually aggregating values; My problem lies with selecting a value automatically when another specific value is chosen. 

marcus_sommer

That was the aim of my suggestion - to transfer the selections into the expressions (you could regard a set analysis as a selection).

Like above mentioned is a native and direct selection from the users the easiest way either in the development of an application and also in the navigation & usability of the users. If there are reasons to decouple the user interactions from the results the use of a set analysis is usually the best choice and you should to make it clear for the users what behaved differently and why. The usage of a lot of magic with actions and macros is far more critically - just read the provided link from above carefully.

Nevertheless if you want to apply an automatic selection go to the document properties in tab triggers, choose your field A and add there as search-expression: <=$(=max(A))

- Marcus

abhi1693r
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

The expression is not working (<=$(=max(A))). Is this specifically for Qliksense?

marcus_sommer

It shouldn't be: (<=$(=max(A))) else <=$(=max(A)) or ="<=$(=max(A))" or "<=$(=max(A))"

- Marcus