Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jagsfan82
Partner - Contributor III

Sharing QVWs results in No Data

Hey All,

My coworkers often share QVWs between them (offline).  Often times when they do this the data drops (as if they removed all the data before sharing).  Why would this happen and how can we prevent it?

Obviously if we have the data or are sharing a link to the file we can reload it, but if sending QVWs through email or after a data reduction it becomes problematic.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
dplr-rn
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

if no section access it is very odd behaviour. the data is in the qvw file.

i am assuming both manager and developer have desktop licenses.

also check the document properties to enusyre section access exclusion is not threr. or it must be some setting which is messing with it.

not aware of any other reason. if the behavior can be replicated consistently and you have license; try contacting support

View solution in original post

9 Replies
dplr-rn
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

i have a feeling they are removing the data manually to reduce size while emailing.

you can do it like so

Files -> Reduce Data-> Remove All Values.

so it retains all the code but removes data thus reducing size. 

Jagsfan82
Author

Thanks for the response.  This wouldn't be the issue, as the same thing happens sometimes when users open the application from a shared folder.  For example, I might send someone a link to my application I just built, and when they open it there is no data.

dplr-rn
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

any app where data has been removed has to be reloaded again for data to appear.

Is the application saved in shared drive without data?

jensmunnichs
Creator III
Creator III

Does the size of the .qvw file reduce after sharing & saving? Just asking to make sure the data is actually missing and not just hidden. If the size remains the same, the data is still in there somewhere. Are you using Section Access? This can limit the data someone can see while keeping it visible to someone else.

Jagsfan82
Author

File size remains the same, which is exactly what I was thinking.  The data has to be in there somewhere right? But definitely no section access.  Most of the people that are sharing documents know very little beyond basic QlikView funcitonality. 

A common situation would be a lower level employee is building a simple application to look at a few things.  They save this file and the application in a shared folder.  The lower level employee asks a manager to look at what they did in the QlikView application, and when the manager opens the file it is empty.  In this scenario the manager could simply reload the data and everything will be fine. 

My original thought is the data is stored in memory or the user's local qlikview files somewhere, so when a new person opens the document they don't have access, but everything I read makes it seem like the data is supposed to travel with the QVW.

dplr-rn
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

if no section access it is very odd behaviour. the data is in the qvw file.

i am assuming both manager and developer have desktop licenses.

also check the document properties to enusyre section access exclusion is not threr. or it must be some setting which is messing with it.

not aware of any other reason. if the behavior can be replicated consistently and you have license; try contacting support

Jagsfan82
Author

Good Idea. I'll try to make sure I document a scenario I can replicate and reach out to our rep.. or support directly.
dplr-rn
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

Share the progress. Curious to know the reason

dplr-rn
Partner - Master III
Partner - Master III

Any luck?