Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Should I use one ID or multiple IDs?

I have multiple Tables and I want to join them all. All tables shares a common ID at the moment but I am not sure if I should model for each relation a separate ID even if the ID is always the same for all tables.

For example I have T1, T2 and T3 all have the field ID. T2 and T3 can have multiple values for the same ID.

T1:

Load * inline [

ID, T1_VALUE

1, 1234567

2, 2345678

];

T2:

Load * inline [

ID, T2_VALUE

1, 100

1, 200

];

T3:

Load * inline [

ID, T3_VALUE

1, 20

2, 10

2, 40

];

This would produce the following table structure.

one_id.png

The other approach would be to have single id for each relation. T2 and T3 can have multiple values for the same ID.

T1:

Load * inline [

T2_ID, T3_ID, T1_VALUE

1, 1, 1234567

2, 2, 2345678

];

T2:

Load * inline [

T2_ID, T2_VALUE

1, 10

1, 40

];

T3:

Load * inline [

T3_ID, T3_VALUE

1, 20

2, 10

2, 50

];

This would leads to

n_ids.png

As far what I have seen this produces the same results (besides the new fields for the new IDs). So, what is the difference?

3 Replies
Anil_Babu_Samineni

Two are okay to fix the Perfect data model. While you have generating same Data model that case you need to use as per there allignment for Schema.

This case, I would use the second case instead of first one

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Personally I would merge them all into one single table by exploiting the ApplyMap() function.

Not applicable
Author

Please note that this is not a star shema and T2 and T3 are no Dimension tables. Wouldn't ApplyMap() return only one value? T2 and T3 can have multiple values which are related to one value in T1 (n:1 relation).