Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ahammadshafi
Creator
Creator

Showing clients using unlicensed personal edition

Dear Experts:

A new client wants to start working with QlikView and they want to see some development works as well. They don't have license, nor I am allowed to access our development servers outside our network; on top of that, I have to visit their office to demonstrate.

As a resolution, I can install a unlicensed personal edition in one of the clients' machines and show them development. My questions would be:

1. Is there any legal issues to show my clients with unlicensed version?

2. Is there any alternative?

Your comments are highly appreciated.

Ahammad Shafi

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

If you don't provide the (external) client a QV license (e.g. a leased Named CAL) from your company's pool of licenses, I don't see anything that would be against license agreement.

I am assuming that the QVW itself (and the data contained therein) isn't violating any legal agreements with 3rd parties / copyrights.

Remember that opening your QVW in the client's unlicensed desktop version will consume a so called recovery attempt.

Though this shouldn't be an issue when looking at a single QVW / client machine, there are some reported issues with personal edition stopped opening a QVW (reporting max number of recoveries reached).

Also if you want to provide some updates to the QVW, this might be getting an issue.

As an alternative, if your client is a candidate for a new Qlik customer, you can ask Qlik for a temporary test license, something they have done in the past to support so called SiBs (Seeing is Believing, kind of a demo at customer's site).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

If you don't provide the (external) client a QV license (e.g. a leased Named CAL) from your company's pool of licenses, I don't see anything that would be against license agreement.

I am assuming that the QVW itself (and the data contained therein) isn't violating any legal agreements with 3rd parties / copyrights.

Remember that opening your QVW in the client's unlicensed desktop version will consume a so called recovery attempt.

Though this shouldn't be an issue when looking at a single QVW / client machine, there are some reported issues with personal edition stopped opening a QVW (reporting max number of recoveries reached).

Also if you want to provide some updates to the QVW, this might be getting an issue.

As an alternative, if your client is a candidate for a new Qlik customer, you can ask Qlik for a temporary test license, something they have done in the past to support so called SiBs (Seeing is Believing, kind of a demo at customer's site).

dgreenberg
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Can you just demo it from your machine?

Often times (not sure if this always) when you open a QVD with a recovery attempt in an unlicensed personal edition fo QlikView it will force you to reload and you may not be able to do that unless you bring the data sources.

ahammadshafi
Creator
Creator
Author

Dear All:

Many thanks for your comments.

In my machine I don't have QV installed, all the instances are in our servers. Beside that, I have to show the clients some development with their data in their machine.

I think it is better to ask QlikView to provide some temporary license.

Again thanks for your kind replies.

Have a nice day.

Ahammad Shafi