Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Showing one datapoint for "several selections"?

I had a really difficult time to Google this but consider that I have the following date:

DateGoalsSubcategoryScore
2011-01-01MathTeamwork2
2011-01-01MathLeadership5
2011-01-01MathAnalytics6
2011-01-01EnglishTeamwork12
2011-01-01EnglishLeadership9
2011-01-01EnglishAnalytics14

2011-06-01

MathTeamwork4
2011-06-01MathLeadership3
2011-06-01MathAnalytics6
2011-06-01EnglishTeamwork10
2011-06-01EnglishLeadership7
2011-06-01EnglishTeamwork16

Obviously the real data has much more datapoints but the same amount of fields (four fields), I want to be able to show each individual score based one selection and I do not know how to achieve this.

I thought that I would make a diagram with Date, Goals and Subcategory as dimensions and Score as an expression, however this does not seem to work?What I am doing wrong and how would I be able to achieve this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Could you maybe reduce the three dimensions to up to two by concatenating e.g. Goals and Subcategories, creating a new dimension?

View solution in original post

16 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Did you do sum(Score) or just Score?

Not applicable
Author

No, I do not want to sum score... basically if I make a barchart and make the following selection

Date: 2011-01-01

Goals: Math

Subcategory: Teamwork, Leadership & Analytics

I would want this selection to show three different scores (2, 5 and 6 on one bar each)

swuehl
MVP
MVP

The resulting table looks fine too me, except that

on 2011-06-01, you have multiple records for English and Temwork with values 10 and 16.

You won't get individual lines for them.

You could add Score to your dimensions too and add an expression

=1

and hide this expression in presentation (talking about a straight table), but this will only work for unique combinations of Score, Date, Goals, Subcategory.

So maybe you could add a record no to the table and hide this in presentation tab of the properties?

Regards,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

Yes the last row should be analytics, sloppy copying

So yeah, I find that each line has an unique identified with the combination of Date, Goals and Subcategory... but I still don't manage the data to show this way.

I would make a barchart with date, goals and subcategory as three individual dimensions?

And then add the Score as a expression?

So if I selected all dates (2), all goals (2) and all subcategories (3) I would get 12 datapoints... that's what I am after

swuehl
MVP
MVP

I believe the standard behaviour of a bar chart allows 3 dimensions and 1 expression only in stacked style.

So you will probably only get a stacked bar with stacked subcategories, right?

Is that your problem?

Not applicable
Author

Yeah, that explains it! I changed it to stack bars and it show perfectly, however this is not how I like it... I like it as a histogram (like an inflation rate chart over time?)...

Is that possible and how?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Could you maybe reduce the three dimensions to up to two by concatenating e.g. Goals and Subcategories, creating a new dimension?

Not applicable
Author

How would I do that the best way? I could combine subcategory and goal as "one selection", ie always requiring a selection of both of those...

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Hm, not sure what you mean..

Please have a look at attached (and at the script part for concatenation).

Maybe like this?