Qlik Community

New to QlikView

Discussion board where members can get started with QlikView.

Not applicable

Simple Dimension Expression Issue

So this is probably a really easy question to answer, but didn't find anything in a search:

I have a List Box that splits my data into two categories - Y and N.

I want to put in a bar graph that shows both the Yes and the No data. I thought an if() statement would be appropriate but can't seem to get the correct expression that QV would like. I think it has something to do with my input after the '=' sign...

=if(PuttableF=N, 'No',if(PuttableF=Y, 'Yes','Neither'))

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MVP
MVP

Hello,

If PuttableF is a field that contains "Y" or "N", then use it as dimension, and do a Count(Field) where Field is any field related to those Y or N.

Anyway, check some missing single quotes in your expression:

=if(PuttableF = 'N', 'No', if(PuttableF = 'Y', 'Yes', 'Neither'))

Note that conditional based calculated dimensions will take a lot of time to render, so avoid them whenever possible.

Hope this helps.

3 Replies
MVP
MVP

Hello,

If PuttableF is a field that contains "Y" or "N", then use it as dimension, and do a Count(Field) where Field is any field related to those Y or N.

Anyway, check some missing single quotes in your expression:

=if(PuttableF = 'N', 'No', if(PuttableF = 'Y', 'Yes', 'Neither'))

Note that conditional based calculated dimensions will take a lot of time to render, so avoid them whenever possible.

Hope this helps.

Not applicable

Thanks Miguel, the single quotes worked. I have a pretty nice sized if() statement dimension already in the chart (and noticed the difference in time it took to save/open the file). But doesn't the count() function just give the number of Y or N values and not the values themselves? I need to display the actual values too.

Highlighted
MVP
MVP

Well, it depends on how you have built your data model.

To get the count of fields with Y or N, you can use

Count({< PuttableF = {'Y'} >} ID)

For "Neither", you can try (although I don't know how it will work)

Count({1 - < PuttableF = {'Y', 'N'} >} ID)

Hope this helps

Community Browser