Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Size limit?

Does anyone know how many lines Qlikview can hold in one table?

I have one table up to 16,642,147 lines and I'm kind of impressed. But I know I'll need to tack more onto that.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Miguel A. Baeyens wrote:If possible I'd prefer to use one big table (big fact table and several dimension tables around it, following the snow flake model when possible), although it will depend on your datamodel. Let's see what the other users say.

That's what I'd say. My applications don't all have an identifiable central table, but I'd consider it the best practice in general. QlikView is usually pretty flexible in what it allows, though. It very firmly disallows any possible loops, though.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

If you mean how many records can be handled in a QlikView table, and don't affect performance, I'd say it depends on the hardware you are running QlikView. In my experience, 100M+ are loaded fine, actually stored in one or several QVD files.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

So basically, Qlikview will hold as much as your computer can handle? Sweet.

Speaking of one or several files, performance wise, is it better load one big file or to load several smaller files?

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello,

If possible I'd prefer to use one big table (big fact table and several dimension tables around it, following the snow flake model when possible), although it will depend on your datamodel. Let's see what the other users say.

Regards.

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Miguel A. Baeyens wrote:If possible I'd prefer to use one big table (big fact table and several dimension tables around it, following the snow flake model when possible), although it will depend on your datamodel. Let's see what the other users say.

That's what I'd say. My applications don't all have an identifiable central table, but I'd consider it the best practice in general. QlikView is usually pretty flexible in what it allows, though. It very firmly disallows any possible loops, though.

Not applicable
Author

At the moment, for data, I'm spooling to a .txt file from SQL plus. My concern is, is there a .txt file that's so big that Qlikview won't open?

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Again, bear in mind that is QlikView who is pulling data from your data source (a txt file in this case) so other application limitations (say notepad, wordpad, word...) don't apply to this. Again the hardware, memory, cpu will say you how far can you go and how many loads do you need to do to create a stable and performance reliable data model.

It's sometimes repetitive, but I use to create intermediate QVD files since they are optimized and quicker to load.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for the info.