Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DipeshVadgama
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Special characters issue while loading

Hi,

I am loading the data and I observed one field have a string with special characters. After load it only showing half string.

Example

Field

Dipesh&bae

Djd`djs

After loaded i Can see

bae

djs

How can I load full string with special characters in Qlikview

8 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

What is your data source? If it's a text file, could you upload a sample?

balabhaskarqlik

Try this:

In your data replace '&' with 'chr(38)'. Then when loading data into QlikView  replace 'chr(38)' with '&'.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Try to change input file format to .qvx. If you have Alteryx you convert the file to .qvx from there only.

dlesny
Contributor II
Contributor II

I have exactly the same problem and so far no solution

garethrogers
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same issue loading from an .xlsx file provided by a third party.  However, if I open the file locally in Excel on my laptop and simply re-save it, the issue goes away.

I haven't found a way to handle it in my load script.  Even the len function doesn't recognize the characters that come before the special character.

I'm not sure what to the tell the third party to do differently.  The file they send is fine is every way apart from when I load it to QV.

Any ideas?  Thanks

marcus_sommer

I'm not sure that the file is really fine and completely conform to the standards of ooxml respectively the way how Excel has implemented them. The fact that a simple re-saving of the file with Excel removed the issue indicates that there is any conflict with the standard-compatibility.

I could imagine that those characters aren't stored as "real" data else that they are some kind of meta-data like a formatting to a cell-value. Further I think that there is no easy solution for it unless just to re-save these files before loading them into Qlik (this might be automated in some way) because otherwise you would need to know the real cause to be able to handle it in Qlik, by the third party source or in any other way - and this is probably not simple. One approach might be to unzip the xlsx and and then to look there into the various xml-files ...

- Marcus

garethrogers
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply Marcus.  It confirms there is nothing I can do within my load script to get around this.  I'll work with the 3rd party to see what they can do on their end.

It's an interesting issue, esp. since the person that started this thread had exactly the same problem.  Something with how these files are being saved in Excel.  Maybe isolated in one version of Excel or something?

marcus_sommer

I have seen several of such questions here in the community in the last years and therefore I don't believe that there is a dependency to a certain excel-release. Like above mentioned I think that those Information aren't stored as "pure" data else they are some kind of meta-data or maybe just a reference (maybe special-chars and/or by mixing up different char-sets could be out-sourced within a kind of mapping-table) or something similar.

Maybe a research within the various office-communities could give some hint in this direction.

- Marcus