Qlik Community

New to QlikView

Discussion board where members can get started with QlikView.

Announcements
Modernize Your QlikView Deployment webinar, Nov. 3rd. REGISTER
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Contributor

Split Field (Column) based on | delimiter into multiple columns (variable number)

‌Hi All

The problem that I have is that I am loading .csv from AWS and want to split out a field where the the number of columns produced is variable and the delimter is |. The variablity is from not needing a split to having 20 new columns split out. The data is a database of web behavior and visit dates, pages visited, etc. The data is grouped per user within one field. For Example:

Anonymous Unique IDPages Visited
Sources

aD56-9045id-a4nj

www.example.com|www.example.com/page1|www.example.com/page2Google|Facebook|Email
dRTY-8778id-b3hkwww.example.com|www.example.com/page4|www.example.com/page3|www.example.comEmail|Google
l0rd-3423id-kl21www.example.com|www.example.com/page5Email
f@rt-3782id-nn2wwww.example.comEmail

I want to split the Page Visted and dates visited so into columns so they remain as a data point associated to the ID. I have looked on the forums and I know that some of the answers are out there, but I am completely new and I have no idea how to take the scripts I have seen (for example subfield) and translate to work for my example. The more detailed the answer the better. I learn fast with a couple good examples. Thank you for the help!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Try this

Table:

LOAD [Anonymous Unique ID],

[Pages Visited],

SubField([Sources], '|') as [Sources];

SubField([Pages Visited], '|') as [Pages Visited],

Sources;

LOAD * INLINE [

Anonymous Unique ID, Pages Visited, Sources

aD56-9045id-a4nj, www.example.com|www.example.com/page1|www.example.com/page2, Google|Facebook|Email

dRTY-8778id-b3hk, www.example.com|www.example.com/page4|www.example.com/page3|www.example.com, Email|Google

l0rd-3423id-kl21, www.example.com|www.example.com/page5, Email

f@rt-3782id-nn2w, www.example.com, Email

];

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted

The first row from your data have 3 pages visited, but only 2 dates... how do you know which page was visited on what date?

Highlighted

Try this

Table:

[Pages Visited],

SubField([Sources], '|') as [Sources];

SubField([Pages Visited], '|') as [Pages Visited],

Sources;

LOAD * INLINE [

Anonymous Unique ID, Pages Visited, Sources

aD56-9045id-a4nj, www.example.com|www.example.com/page1|www.example.com/page2, Google|Facebook|Email

dRTY-8778id-b3hk, www.example.com|www.example.com/page4|www.example.com/page3|www.example.com, Email|Google

l0rd-3423id-kl21, www.example.com|www.example.com/page5, Email

f@rt-3782id-nn2w, www.example.com, Email

];

View solution in original post