Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jekbauita
Contributor III
Contributor III

Split Subtotals in pivot table

Hello,

is there any way to split the subtotals by a sub-dimension in a pivot table?

For example:

Header 1Header 2Header 3Header 4Header 5Header 6Header 7Header 8
MONTHJANJANFEBFEBTOTALTOTAL
TYPEYEAR201620172016201720162017
CAR102015252545
BIKE14100114
HOUSE258151020

If I select to compute subtotals for the dimension "MONTH", I can only get the total sum of the row (2016+2017), which is meaningless to me. Also, I don't want to switch YEAR and MONTH dimension, because I'd like to do a comparison by months.

I've also attached a .qvw as an example of what I'm trying to achieve.

Any help will be really appreciated.

19 Replies
jekbauita
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Still don't know if I've understood the matter properly, just for the benefit of the topic I will try to sum it up:

• create a new dimension as a linear table within the load script. Values of the table will be just 1 and 2;
  • create a new calculated dimension as "=Pick(Dim, DIMENSION, 'Total')" where:
    • Dim is the linear dimension
    • DIMENSIONis the 'parent' dimension - the one we want to be split
    • 'Total' is the label you wnat to give to the "total" at the bottom/start of the table - hadn't tried myself, but I think you can put the total at the begin of the table by just switching the order between COLUMN and 'Total' within the Pick function
  • create a new expression in the expression tab (subtotals should not be selected)

Alla other options in the .qvw file are just for formatting reasons.

The trick mechanic is (or at least I think it works because):

• loading a new linear dimension forces QlikView to doble the rows in the loaded data;
  • DIMENSION is now computed and QlikView forces it to be:
    • DIMENSION, when label is 1
    • A simple label when label is 2: due to the fact that data is doubled, the returned value is 'Total' and the data is equal to all the choosen repository. Data can also be divided in all the desired sub-dimension.

My question is: in terms of performance does this affect badly my QlikView application? Are there any disvantages due to the fact that data are doubled? Maybe in a big application you need some precautions when using this tecnique?

sunny_talwar

Look at my responses in red below

Giacomo Berdondini wrote:

Still don't know if I've understood the matter properly, just for the benefit of the topic I will try to sum it up:

• create a new dimension as a linear table within the load script. Values of the table will be just 1 and 2;
  • create a new calculated dimension as "=Pick(Dim, DIMENSION, 'Total')" where:
    • Dim is the linear dimension
    • DIMENSIONis the 'parent' dimension - the one we want to be split
    • 'Total' is the label you wnat to give to the "total" at the bottom/start of the table - hadn't tried myself, but I think you can put the total at the begin of the table by just switching the order between COLUMN and 'Total' within the Pick function
      • To change the location of Total, I suggest using the sort tab. You can also bring it in the middle or wherever it would make sense for you to see it.
  • create a new expression in the expression tab (subtotals should not be selected)
    • That is correct

Alla other options in the .qvw file are just for formatting reasons.

The trick mechanic is (or at least I think it works because):

• loading a new linear dimension forces QlikView to doble the rows in the loaded data;
    • This is not true... we are not doubling the data here. Dim is just a island table which won't impact your other tables.
  • DIMENSION is now computed and QlikView forces it to be:
    • DIMENSION, when label is 1
      • That is right
    • A simple label when label is 2: due to the fact that data is doubled, the returned value is 'Total' and the data is equal to all the choosen repository. Data can also be divided in all the desired sub-dimension.
      • Not sure I understand this

My question is: in terms of performance does this affect badly my QlikView application? Are there any disvantages due to the fact that data are doubled? Maybe in a big application you need some precautions when using this tecnique?

There will definitely some impact to performance, but it is going to be negligible to little based on the size of the application. Also, like I mentioned that you are not doubling the data, so there are no disadvantages there. I can't think of any precautions, but you might need to modify it if you need to make changes. For instance if you need DIMENSION, Total and Avg, then you will need to increase the value of Dim from 1 and 2 to 1, 2, and 3. and there can be other changes that you might need.

jekbauita
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Ok, thank you Sunny, it really helped me understanding some of the QlikView mechanics.

Thank you for your time.

Giacomo

sunny_talwar

No problem at all

I am glad I was able to offer some help here

jekbauita
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Another problem...

If I'm using a set expression to limit result in the "Total" expression, and thank if I want to use an additional calculated espression (for example to compute the percentage growth from one year to the next one), all rows are shown with 0 value (even the ones outside the selection of my set expression).

I've attached a file to make more clear what I'm trying to achieve

sunny_talwar

Like I mentioned above, you can further use the Pick match technique to work on this... Just so I understand, you are looking to only show diff where there is a value? remove where it is null?

jekbauita
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Yes, following the example above I would like to have the % difference, for each month, between the 2016 and the 2017 value. I tried to play around Pick and Match but couldn't get any result as of now.

sunny_talwar

This?

Capture.PNG

jekbauita
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

That is definetly what I was trying to achive, I'm going to play around it a little to make it work properly for my application.

Thank you again.

sunny_talwar

I am glad it worked