Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cubstripe
Contributor
Contributor

Syncing Data in Two Separate Tables

I'm sure this question has been asked a lot, but I can't seem to find any results that help me!

I'm using the REST connector to pull in data, and there are 3 separate data sources.
One problem I have is that there is SO MUCH data that it takes like 30 minutes to load all of it in, and then the Data Manager never opens. So I can't look at my table associations or sync the tables because the Data Manager just never loads.

My 3 data sets are Members, Organizations, and Users. (users being anyone who has an account, and members being only those who are in an organization)

The Members table shows which Organizations a User is in.
Members and Orgs share a field called 'organizationId'.
The problem is, when I'm looking at data, I want the organization Name, which is only found in the Orgs table and not in Members.

Specifically, I'm trying to make a bar chart displaying the count of members by organization, and it works fine when I use 'organizationId', but the values in this field are long numbers that don't give much info to the user, which is why I want to display the orgName instead.

I have several similar problems like this.

Is there a way to get the chart to display the Name of an Organization in place of its ID?

(Preferably without changing my load script! Because it takes too long to load and times out repeatedly, wastes a lot of my time!)

Willing to provide any extra info needed, I am very new to this though so please be patient with me!

Labels (3)
5 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

If the Name field from the Organization table is in your data model in your Qlikview app then you can use it a dimension in your chart. You can check that with the Table viewer.

... but you mention the Data Manager, which is part of Qlik Sense . If you're using Qlik Sense you can check if the field exists in the Data Model Viewer.

Anyway, if the Name field does not exist in your data model then you will have to change the load script and include it.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
cubstripe
Contributor
Contributor
Author

The problem isn't whether the field exists.

I know it exists.

But if I try to sort memberships by Name instead of ID, the chart breaks because the Memberships table doesn't have the org names, only the Organizations table has that field.

But BOTH tables have the 'organizationId' field. So I would think there's a way to display the org name based on the ID, but I can't figure out how to do that.

cubstripe
Contributor
Contributor
Author

I've attached a screenshot of my data model, in case that is useful.

I've highlighted Memberships and Organizations in blue.

Gysbert_Wassenaar

You have a massive synthetic key in your data model. That's probably also causing the problem you experience. Rename fields so tables are only associated by the fields that should link them.

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
cubstripe
Contributor
Contributor
Author

Okay!

Could you extrapolate on that a bit, though, because I don't really know how a lot of this stuff works.