Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dena_reavis
Employee
Employee

Syntax for one variable divided by another variable...... What am I doing wrong?

I have a variable vSalesUnits which is a total of units.

I have a variable vSalesRevenue which is a total of types of revenues.

Each are working independently but when I try to create a new variable for the Per Unit called vSalesPer_Unit where I divide the total revenue by the units, I can't get it to calculate. 

vSalesPer_Unit is defined like this:

$(vSalesRevenue ) / $(vSalesUnits )

... doesn't work for me

I've tried putting additional () around each, doesn't work

($(vSalesRevenue )) /( $(vSalesUnits ))

I've tried the Div function with and without extra parentheses, didn't work. 

I searched and found a few postings of other people having a similar issue, but I can't find a solution other than extra parentheses.  

Can someone tell what am doing wrong or make a suggestion?

Thank you very much!

Labels (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
marcus_sommer

Maybe your variable-result contains a comma as thousand/decimal-delimiter. That's fine by a single-output but it's not a valid number if you want to calculate anything on top of it. In this case you could either adjust the formatting by the variable-creation or you need to consider it by calling the variables, for example with something like:

num(num#($(vSalesRevenue ), '#.##0,00', ',', '.') / num#($(vSalesUnits ), '#.##0,00', ',', '.'), 'YourFormat')

- Marcus

View solution in original post

dena_reavis
Employee
Employee
Author

Thank you Marcus!

While I was trying your suggestion, I noticed a space after one of the variable names before the second parentheses of the dollar sign expansion. I admit I did not think that would cause an issue, but that seems to have been it. I fixed it and now it calculates just fine. 

I had $(vSalesUnits ) instead of $(vSalesUnits)

Thank you both for your quick responses. 

View solution in original post

3 Replies
othniel2014
Contributor III
Contributor III

Does this work for you?

vDivide =vSalesRevenue/vSalesUnits__.png

marcus_sommer

Maybe your variable-result contains a comma as thousand/decimal-delimiter. That's fine by a single-output but it's not a valid number if you want to calculate anything on top of it. In this case you could either adjust the formatting by the variable-creation or you need to consider it by calling the variables, for example with something like:

num(num#($(vSalesRevenue ), '#.##0,00', ',', '.') / num#($(vSalesUnits ), '#.##0,00', ',', '.'), 'YourFormat')

- Marcus

dena_reavis
Employee
Employee
Author

Thank you Marcus!

While I was trying your suggestion, I noticed a space after one of the variable names before the second parentheses of the dollar sign expansion. I admit I did not think that would cause an issue, but that seems to have been it. I fixed it and now it calculates just fine. 

I had $(vSalesUnits ) instead of $(vSalesUnits)

Thank you both for your quick responses.