Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Test connection failed because of an error in initializing provider

Hi

I am trying to connect Oracle DB in the script page

OLE DB --> Connect

In Data Link Properties Window

Provider Tab -->Oracle Provider for OLE DB

Connections page --> Datasource, Username & pwd

Then following error is populating

"Test Connection is failed because of an error in initializing provider. ORA-12154 TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified"

what could be the reason for this error? and how to resolve it?

Thanks in advance

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Hi qlikviewgoer,

I think this could be one of two problems.

1.By default, when you test a connection Oracle uses a dummy username and password to connect to a data source so it could be that the test tried to pass through an invalid username/password combination. To fix this look for a box that says something like change login details.

2. The error could be because your Oracle service is not set up properly i.e. you need to either copy over the tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora files from a valid installation or recreate the services on your machine using the client tools. Use the Oracle client tools to ensure that the service is configured properly.

I hope this helps.

Rod

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi qlikviewgoer,

I think this could be one of two problems.

1.By default, when you test a connection Oracle uses a dummy username and password to connect to a data source so it could be that the test tried to pass through an invalid username/password combination. To fix this look for a box that says something like change login details.

2. The error could be because your Oracle service is not set up properly i.e. you need to either copy over the tnsnames.ora and sqlnet.ora files from a valid installation or recreate the services on your machine using the client tools. Use the Oracle client tools to ensure that the service is configured properly.

I hope this helps.

Rod

Not applicable
Author

Thanks, its working...