Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andreas_koehler
Creator II
Creator II

Trellis chart: How to generate variable y-axes

Hi !

I found references to this issue but they were asked in 2010 and not answered. So hopefully someone had a great idea of  how to resolve this:

I need to have a flexible, dynamic way to show a bunch of line charts based on user input. They should all have the same x-axis (time) but should show real values for each second dimension on the y-axis. These values can differ significantly, so I need different ranges in the y-axis based on the values of the second dimension.

Trellis charts are great but they share their y-axes.

How do I achieve different ranges for y-axes in trellis charts?

Is there an alternative to Trellis charts?

As always: Thanks for your interest and any replies.

Andreas

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable

Hi Andreas,

Have a look at the attached.  Does this come close to meeting your requirement?  Let me know if it doesn't and we can try to come up with something else.

Thanks

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Not applicable

Maybe try a container and change the container type to grid.  It would give the appearance of a trellis, but with autonomous charts so you could change them individually to fit your needs.

andreas_koehler
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Caleb,

thanks for your reply.

Sadly I do not see how this solves the problem. I can not create the diagrams beforehand. They need to be created on-the-fly due to user input: Both selection and number vary.

The only work-around I see right now is to denominate the values but that is not what I was aiming for.

Not applicable

I don't think I understand your requirement.  Can you attach an example of your desired outcome?

andreas_koehler
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Caleb,

thanks for your interest.

I would like to illustrate this with the following example:

You want to compare stock prices from hundreds of listed companies. The price per share ranges from USD 0.012 for MVTG to USD 193,465.00 for BRK. Some companies get delisted, some get listed, which you add to your data dynamically. Now you want to give the user the possibility to compare the chronological change in price of several stock he selects. He want to see a not pre-defined number and not pre-defined selection of charts that share the range in the x-axis. So time is one dimension and the stock ID the second dimension.

But with a Berkshire Hathaway in your selection you would only see horizontal lines for basically all other stock, wether APPL or MVTG. For this you need different y-axis.

I like the idea of a container but how would you keep the number and the selection variable?

Not applicable

Hi Andreas,

Have a look at the attached.  Does this come close to meeting your requirement?  Let me know if it doesn't and we can try to come up with something else.

Thanks

andreas_koehler
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Caleb,

thanks for not giving up. You are a true house builder 😉

Temporary I only have the personal edition available, so i can not open your file. Can you attach a screenshot?

Andreas

Not applicable

I had to create 4 data islands to attach each chart to it's own filter.  Attached is the script

Screen2_Stocks.PNG

Here is the formula that is used to attach the set analysis to the list box: 

sum({<Symbol={$(=replace(Concat(Chr(39)&GetFieldSelections(SymbolFilter1)&Chr(39),','),', ',Chr(39)&','&Chr(39)))}>} Close)

Screen1_Stocks.PNG

You can obviously change to layout to something more elegant, but hopefully this is a starting point.

MarcoWedel

Hi,

maybe you could use a trellis chart, show each price relative to its start value and mark min and max with absolute values:

QlikCommunity_Thread_205663_Pic1.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_205663_Pic2.JPG

QlikCommunity_Thread_205663_Pic3.JPG

hope this helps

regards

Marco

andreas_koehler
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Caleb,

What a nice piece of scripting. Kudos to you!

Several charts each with an individual filter in a container. And I can also assign several symbols to one chart. Having about 4-6 charts on one page should also be fine. I really like the twist with the replace to include the ',' between the symbols.

By the way: How do you check these rather complex scripts while you create them? Presently I use a textbox to build the syntax and check the outcome starting with the inner element, but textboxes lack the automatic syntax check.

I also like Marco's proposal but yours is the one that is more to what I orignally had in mind.

Thanks again.

Andreas