Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andreas_koehler
Creator II
Creator II

Trellis chart: How to generate variable y-axes

Hi !

I found references to this issue but they were asked in 2010 and not answered. So hopefully someone had a great idea of  how to resolve this:

I need to have a flexible, dynamic way to show a bunch of line charts based on user input. They should all have the same x-axis (time) but should show real values for each second dimension on the y-axis. These values can differ significantly, so I need different ranges in the y-axis based on the values of the second dimension.

Trellis charts are great but they share their y-axes.

How do I achieve different ranges for y-axes in trellis charts?

Is there an alternative to Trellis charts?

As always: Thanks for your interest and any replies.

Andreas

11 Replies
andreas_koehler
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Marco,

very neat  piece of scripting. I also thought about denominating it with the start value as work-around. To stay with this example, this is what for stocks sites like google do. I could not figure out how to create and position the min and max near the lines. I wonder how the parallel use of % to start value (which is most of the time quite arbitrary) and the absolute number is perceived by users. I looked at this solution now for some time and I start to like it. The variability could also be expressed using some greeks.

Thanks for this solution.

Well, two very nice solutions for a problem that was in the beginning quite frustrating.

Not applicable

Andreas,

Glad we found a solution!

I find the best way to test these complex expressions that use a dollar-sign expansion, is to use a straight table and leave the expression label blank.  That way the evaluated expression is shown in the label.  From there you can usually figure out what might have gone wrong.  Below you can see what the expression used in this thread expands to using the straight table.  Don't stop using text boxes however, they are very useful if you need to test smaller parts of your expression - in this expression you could test the Concat() and Replace() parts to make sure they are returning the correct string.

Screen3_Stocks.PNG