Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Trendline for a multiple dimension line chart

Is there an easy way to create an 'average' trendline for a line chart with 2 dimensions? I have the following, and wish to produce an average of the 4 lines on the same chart, but since I have 2 dimensions, clicking the Average trendline box produces 4 additional trendlines, instead of 1. I'd rather not have to create a transparent chart on top if possible. Thanks

qvhelp.JPG

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sunny_talwar

Pick is deciding which specific dimension value should get assigned which expression. So looking at it from the straight table view might make things easier to understand

Capture.PNG

When my dimension is Average, use the Avg(Sales) Expression. and when the dimension is Company = A or Company = B, then use Sum(Sales)

This dimension in itself is created using the pick function.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
settu_periasamy
Master III
Master III

Hi,

May be try this..

Instead of Checking Average Trend line for each expression, Create one more Expression , Uncheck the line and Check the Average in the Trend lines Part (this expression only)

and check the value on Data points

Not applicable
Author

I don't think the trendline is what I'm looking for actually. I essentially need to be able to produce an average at each x axis interval, and connect the dots. Perhaps this is not do-able..?

sunny_talwar

May be share a sample with your expectation for us to play around with

Not applicable
Author

I'm trying to get the sales lines for Companies A and B to populate, as well as the average line for both selections. Thanks for the help

sunny_talwar

Something like this?

Capture.PNGScript:

Script:

LOAD * Inline

[DateA, ID, Company, Sales, RelativeDay&Time

05012016, 1, A, 0, -1

05012016, 2, B, 30, -1

05022016, 1, A, -10, 1

05022016, 2, B, 30, 1

05032016, 1, A, -20, 2

05032016, 2, B, 50, 2

];

Dim:

LOAD * Inline [

Dim

];

Chart Dimensions:

RelativeDay&Time

=Pick(Dim, Dual('Company= ' & Company & Chr(13) & 'Date: ' & DateA, ID), 'Average')

Expression

Pick(Dim, Sum(Sales), Avg(Sales))

Not applicable
Author

Can you explain how the Pick function knows which expression (Sum or Avg) to 'Pick'? I'm trying to replicate for a much larger data set, but am unclear how exactly it's picking an expression to display, as well as how both the sum and average are displayed at the same time

sunny_talwar

Pick function works similar to the if statement. Pick would look at the number associated with value of Dim (which in this case is 1 and 2). So When Dim = 1, use Sum(Sales), when it is 2 use Avg(Sales). This works, because I have use Pick(Dim in the dimension also.

=Pick(Dim, Dual('Company= ' & Company & Chr(13) & 'Date: ' & DateA, ID), 'Average')

Here when Dim = 1, use Dual('Company= ' & Company & Chr(13) & 'Date: ' & DateA, ID) as the dimension and when Dim = 2, then use 'Average' (static value) as dimension.

So combining the two, we get

For Dual('Company= ' & Company & Chr(13) & 'Date: ' & DateA, ID) -> use Sum(Sales)

For 'Average' -> Use Avg(Sales)

Does this make sense?

Not applicable
Author

I understand that, but where/when does DIm get set to 1 or 2?

sunny_talwar

In the script

Capture.PNG