Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pieterkup
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

Unable to export Document Layout to XML files

Hi,

I have a problem with the attached QVW file. I am unable to export the Document Layout to XML. Neither the -prj folder nor the 'File / Export / Export document Layout' options work with this QVW. I have tested with other QVW's and for them both options work, but not for this one. Is there a Security option that would prevent the xml files to be generated?

I have removed all the data and all the hidden sheets to try and generate the XML, but still it does not work.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Pieter

5 Replies
jeshil09
Contributor II
Contributor II

I have the same problem. This was working until recently and then it does not export anymore the layout files.

Anybody got any idea? Either this is a bug or sth else that is known to interfer with the functionality!

pieterkup
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Hi Izabela,

This might be happening because the QVW file has a corruption of some kind. The best way to solve this that I have found thus far, is to re-create the app in a new file. That is exporting the Script to a Script File (from the Script Editor) and copying the front end objects, and pasting them into the new QVW file. The biggest problem is the Document settings, settings on the Sheets (that will have to be manually redone), the Variables and the Dimension Groups (that has to be re-created).

I hope this will solve your problem too.

jeshil09
Contributor II
Contributor II

It seems that one of the problems causing this is a broken link in some of the objects used in the document. Sometimes you have a listbox in a container that points to a field which does not exist anymore, if you see the properties of that container you would have unavailable objects but nothing is visible at first glance.

MK9885
Master II
Master II

How would it export data if there is no data?

Your QVW sample has all blank charts and we cannot test it. In security also you have the 'Allow export' enabled. so it should work.

You can right click and export the chart values to XL or give an icon Export to XL.

For Tables it will export as it is but for Bar/Pie or any other chart it will only export data but not visualization.

If you on QMC you do have to check the 'Allow export to XL option'

jeshil09
Contributor II
Contributor II

Export document layout is not the same as export data, the data can be empty but the chart properties and features, font styles etc used for the chart should still be able to be exported in xml format. The document layout as far as I have seen does not have any information produced about the data source or chart data itself it has only the definition of the chart.