Qlik Community

New to QlikView

Discussion board where members can get started with QlikView.

ngulliver
Valued Contributor III

Unable to open QVW because of large data - solution

Hi.

I came across this issue recently where I was unable to open my QlikView app as the data it contained was too large. I thought I would share the solution:

Why
Occurs particularly with Apps which accumulate data over time.

Error Message

You will get the message “The document C:\<foldername>\<file name>.qvw failed to load”.

Resolution
Two options:

1)    1) If this file remains in the Recently Opened Documents view you can right click on the file and select the option Open '<filename>’ Without Data.

2)   2) If the file is not on Recently Opened Documents you will have to go to the Start button and type on the command line C:\Program Files\QlikView\qv.exe /nodata C:\<foldername>\<filename>.qvw.

This need to be typed all in one line so you might need to type it into notepad and copy/paste into command line.

You can then reload a smaller subset of the data in Debug mode if you need charts/tables/variable etc populated for viewing. Ultimately, you will need an alternative long term solution to retain all the data.

I cannot claim to have found the second solution myself. This was thanks to looking at http://www.qlikviewaddict.com which proved invaluable.

Regards,

Neil.

4 Replies
MVP
MVP

Re: Unable to open QVW because of large data - solution

Neil,

I am just curious: How big (on disk) is your qvw that fails to load? Which version and OS are you using?

Not applicable

Hi Neil,

Thank you very much for the information. It solved my issue which i am looking for.

Regards,

Sanjeev Kishan

karunpreet
Contributor

Hi Neil,

My qvw files's size is 874MB and I am also getting the same error.

But, the solution you have provided is not working for me. When I try to load the file without data, that time also its fails to load the qvw. Do you have any other solution for the same.

ngulliver
Valued Contributor III

Hi, Karunpreet.

Unfortunately, that error message is not caused just by size issues. There could be corruption caused when saving.

I also came across another recovery process for you to be aware of:

Document Fail to load

Cheers,

Neil

Community Browser