Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

What is the –What If Analysis in QlikView...

Hi All,

I am new to the QlikView, I am struggle to realize what is the - What if analysis in QlikView. Why peoples are calling what if analysis in QlikView?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Raja,

In a nutshell, a 'what if' analysis looks at historical, predicted or budget data and then adjusts this actual data by one or more factors to show a 'what if' value.

At it's most simple it may be adding a percentage shift (say +10%) to last years figures to predict the next years.  This in itself does not reveal much.  You could look at a composite shift, so say you expect sales to go up by 10% but costs to rise by 15% with margins being shrunk by prices only rising by 5% - when all that is layered on top of your existing data what does the picture look like?

I have done analysis where the user requested that they could apply a different offset to each of the territories in their data - again the composite picture of those different adjustments could be seen.

Often these offsets are set using variables and QlikView slider objects.  These however take up a lot of space on the screen - so sometimes a simple input box with numeric constraints on is a better approach.

Hope this gives you some pointers.

Regards,

Steve

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Raja

When you install QlikView Desktop some examples are installed, see:

• C:\Program Files\QlikView\Examples\Documents\Executive Dashboard.qvw

And look at the What If tab for an example.

Best Regards,     Bill

Not applicable
Author

Hi Bill,

Thanks for your quick response. If you have any document related this please share with me or please brief little bit elaborate.

Regards,

Raja.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Raja

I won't add any url's as they tend to get caught in the moderation quagmire.

But Google Wiki What if Analysis and you'll get loads of hits..

Best Regards,     Bill

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Usually when we want to show Top N analysis or Bottom N analysis, You might need the user to see the Top "X" numbers. For this we create a slider object using which the user can make his selections and the data shown in the charts will be filtered accordingly.

This is what is usually called what if analysis. Some times we also need to see like for example, what if the $ value is x.xx euros what will be the total revenue? Just an example.

stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Raja,

In a nutshell, a 'what if' analysis looks at historical, predicted or budget data and then adjusts this actual data by one or more factors to show a 'what if' value.

At it's most simple it may be adding a percentage shift (say +10%) to last years figures to predict the next years.  This in itself does not reveal much.  You could look at a composite shift, so say you expect sales to go up by 10% but costs to rise by 15% with margins being shrunk by prices only rising by 5% - when all that is layered on top of your existing data what does the picture look like?

I have done analysis where the user requested that they could apply a different offset to each of the territories in their data - again the composite picture of those different adjustments could be seen.

Often these offsets are set using variables and QlikView slider objects.  These however take up a lot of space on the screen - so sometimes a simple input box with numeric constraints on is a better approach.

Hope this gives you some pointers.

Regards,

Steve

ManikantaSirana549
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Steve,

Can please provide any QVW/QVF , So that it helps me to be clear .

Regards

Mani