Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's a Bookmark?

Hi guys,

I would like to know what's a bookmark in a qvw project and how it works.
Where I should/can use it?

Thank you all

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
prieper
Master II
Master II

OL-Help:

Bookmark Types

The current state of selections can be saved as bookmarks for later use. Bookmarks capture selections in all states defined in a QlikView document. When recalling a bookmark created in version 11 (or later) the selections in all states will be applied. There are different types of bookmarks:

Document bookmarksare stored inside the qvw document. They will always be available to whoever opens the document locally or from a QlikView Server.
User bookmarksare stored separately on the user’s computer. They will only be available to the user who created them on the computer where they were created. If the document is moved or renamed all personal bookmarks related to it will be lost.
Personal Server bookmarksare only available when working with a document on QlikView Server and only to authenticated users. They are stored in a repository on the server and are accessible to the user from any computer where authenticated.
Shared Server bookmarks

are only available when working with a document on QlikView Server and only to authenticated users. Any user who has created a personal server bookmark may flag this as shared to other users. They will then become available to other users. Just like personal server bookmarks shared server bookmarks are stored in a repository on the server.

HTH Peter

View solution in original post

6 Replies
prieper
Master II
Master II

OL-Help:

Bookmark Types

The current state of selections can be saved as bookmarks for later use. Bookmarks capture selections in all states defined in a QlikView document. When recalling a bookmark created in version 11 (or later) the selections in all states will be applied. There are different types of bookmarks:

Document bookmarksare stored inside the qvw document. They will always be available to whoever opens the document locally or from a QlikView Server.
User bookmarksare stored separately on the user’s computer. They will only be available to the user who created them on the computer where they were created. If the document is moved or renamed all personal bookmarks related to it will be lost.
Personal Server bookmarksare only available when working with a document on QlikView Server and only to authenticated users. They are stored in a repository on the server and are accessible to the user from any computer where authenticated.
Shared Server bookmarks

are only available when working with a document on QlikView Server and only to authenticated users. Any user who has created a personal server bookmark may flag this as shared to other users. They will then become available to other users. Just like personal server bookmarks shared server bookmarks are stored in a repository on the server.

HTH Peter

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

You can use them everywhere:

• In expressions, in set analysis, in reports
  • In the UI by way of a menu selection or a Bookmark Object that you place on a sheet.
  • In macro's and in emails

See the QV Help for more information.

Peter

sagarkharpude
Creator III
Creator III

Hi,

You can explore the bookmark types by yourself. If you expand the Bookmark menu in QlikView desktop, you will have an option called More:

Capture.JPG

If you explore the More... option, you will see the following screen:

Untitled.jpg

By looking at this screen, you will have a fair idea of the answer. Point to be noted: I am using QlikView desktop personal edition which is not connected to any QlikView server. That is why I cannot see the other bookmark types, namely My Server Bookmarks, Shared Server Bookmarks and My Temporary Bookmarks (most probably, these are the bookmarks sent via email).

I can give you the difference between the displayed bookmarks but about the server bookmarks functionality, I can assume but I am not 100% sure and hence not commenting.

Document bookmark is like an integral property of the document. Whoever opens the document (locally or from srver) can see the Document bookmarks.

User bookmark is specific to the user who created it as well as to the computer where it was created. If some other user opens the document it would not be aailable to him. Also, if the document is moved or renamed, the bookmark won't be available.

avinashelite

You can explore the bookmark types by yourself. If you expand the Bookmark menu in QlikView desktop, you will have an option called More:

Capture.JPG

If you explore the More... option, you will see the following screen:

Untitled.jpg

By looking at this screen, you will have a fair idea of the answer. Point to be noted: I am using QlikView desktop personal edition which is not connected to any QlikView server. That is why I cannot see the other bookmark types, namely My Server Bookmarks, Shared Server Bookmarks and My Temporary Bookmarks (most probably, these are the bookmarks sent via email).

I can give you the difference between the displayed bookmarks but about the server bookmarks functionality, I can assume but I am not 100% sure and hence not commenting.

Document bookmark is like an integral property of the document. Whoever opens the document (locally or from srver) can see the Document bookmarks.

User bookmark is specific to the user who created it as well as to the computer where it was created. If some other user opens the document it would not be aailable to him. Also, if the document is moved or renamed, the bookmark won't be available.

Please let me know if this helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you Peter for your help

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you Peter for your correct answer