Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ab92
Creator II
Creator II

Which way is better to take the data in the Server ?

Hi everyone,

Please, let me know we work with many software and I would like to know (i'm not an expert)

- Which Software is better to use in order to extract the data from the server ?

Management studio, ETL

I know one ETL is integrate on Qlik but how we can use it ?

Many thanks

Axel B

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Visit your discussion in your browser by clicking on the discussion title. You will get a special Correct Answer icon that is displayed over every post in the thread.

Correct Answer Icon in full discussion.jpg

Click that icon in the right post to assign a correct answer. You can undo this action and assign to another post if you made a mistake.

AFAIK you will NOT get this option in a thread displayed in your Inbox. In your Inbox, you'll still have to click the Discussion title to expand it to full view.

Best,

Peter

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

It's always better to let QlikView obtain the data directly by itself, both resource- and performance-wise. QlikView has interfaces to connect to pretty much all common database products in the world, and certainly to MS SQL Server.

In addition to that, the SQL code you would create to let a tool like Management Studio extract the data from an RDBMS can usually be embedded without any modifications in a QlikView Script. Makes management of your code and systems much more straightforward.

ab92
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi Peter,

Thank you very much for your help.

But please do you know the process of the connection : I need only the url of the server and the password ?

And do you have any documents or link regarding this process ?

Many thanks

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

The steps to get a working connection depend on which data source you are trying to connect to.

MS SQL Server has a good OLEDB driver, which you need to install before you can connect to the DB. After that, open the script editor, position your cursor on the spot where you want to insert a CONNECT statement, select OLE DB from the Database list box (bottom left) and click Connect... A wizard opens that will lead you through the steps needed to create a correct CONNECT statement.

More information here:

Loading data from databases ‒ QlikView

OLE DB and ODBC ‒ QlikView

ab92
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Dear Peter,

Many thanks for your help.

I really appreciate your reactivity !

Have nice afternoon,

Axel

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

If your question has been answered, please close the discussion by marking an answer as Correct. That way, a matching anwser will be shown in the same frame as your original post, making it easier for other community members to find answers to their own questions.

Helpful answers can be marked as such by way of the corresponding entry in the Actions menu at the bottom left of every post.

Thanks.

ab92
Creator II
Creator II
Author

Hi

Peter could you help me to close the discussion please ?

Axel

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Visit your discussion in your browser by clicking on the discussion title. You will get a special Correct Answer icon that is displayed over every post in the thread.

Correct Answer Icon in full discussion.jpg

Click that icon in the right post to assign a correct answer. You can undo this action and assign to another post if you made a mistake.

AFAIK you will NOT get this option in a thread displayed in your Inbox. In your Inbox, you'll still have to click the Discussion title to expand it to full view.

Best,

Peter