Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Why to define Joins if Same column names are available in two table?

I have two tables A and B. A have 15 records and B have 6 records. when I am loading the table in qlikview, tables are automatically getting joined as 1 column is same in both the table, but when i am counting no of records its showing me 15 only. when I am joining the table by writing Join in script in qlikview then its showing me 90 records. I checked in database, there also its showing 90 records. So why if table is getting join without mentioning joins in script it is not showing correct count?

3 Replies
pradosh_thakur
Master II
Master II

hi

1:The join in Qlikview is by default outer join.

2: If you use JOIN or OUTER JOIN key word results will be same.

3: If you don't use join the will be auto associated based on field name.

4: Association in Qlikview is similar to outer join but the difference is it happens on run-time or when you select any value all possible combination re being selected

let me know if you need anymore information.if satisfied close the thread.

regards

Pradosh

Learning never stops.
Not applicable
Author

Hi

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Tanay

effinty2112
Master
Master

Hi Tanay,

I'm going to guess that Table A and Table B have 1 distinct value for the common field. When you load without joining in the script you'll have 15 and 6 records in Tables A & B respectively. The tables will be associated on the common field and if there is only one distinct value in this field each record in A will be associated with every record in B. When you join in the script you'll get one table with 15 x 6 = 90 records.

Cheers

Andrew