cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
villegasi03
Creator
Creator

Yet Another Date / Calendar Question

I am sure that people have asked this question before but I am horrible "searcher" so I am taking my chance and asking.

I have maybe 10 tables that I'm loading. Half contain employee data so each contains a "Date" and "Employee ID" field. The other half are over all business statistics so they only contain a "Date" field (of course there are more). I have created a master calendar and now I want to be able to link it to all of my tables.

My goal is to avoid synthetic keys, link to my master calendar and avoid losing selections problems by having multiple calendars.

What is the best way to do this? There is not one table that will contain all of the dates in my master calendar with 100% certainty. I am picturing this table viewer in my head and I am thinking that it will look like a star.

If there's another post out there that someone can refer me to that would also be great.

Thank you

2 Replies
stevedark
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Ismael,

What I always recommend is that any table that has a date in it can be thought of as an 'Event', and rather than having separate tables for each of the different events that can happen have a single concatenated Event table.  This way you have a single date field that can be joined to your calendar.  You can look for commonality between all your other fields when you concatenate - so problems with other keys and associations are removed - this can put you in a much happier place.

Failing that, you may find that having a date table in a data island (ie. a set of data that doesn't like to anything else) and then applying selections made in your calendar table to other fields in the expression using Set Analysis and the P() function (you can search for more information on P()).  The downside of this approach is that the standard green, white and grey functionality breaks down as the dates are not associated to all your list boxes etc.

Hope that points you in the right direction.

Steve