Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

associative search

Hello Viewers,

Am new to qvw and

Could anyone explain about associative search and how to create in qlikview?

Plz help me out with best examples.

Regards,

babi

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi

Associative Search in QlikView v10

One of the great new features in QlikView 10 is the idea of extending the concept of the associate data model.  The embedded search tool now supports the idea of Associative Search.

Click Search Icon In Caption

When you click on the search icon with in the caption of the list box a new 'chevron appears'.  A chevron pointing to the right searches on the field value in your list box. 

Right Pointing Chevron

If you click on this chevron it will change directions and expand the search box (see image to the below/center).

In v10 when you enter a search term in this box you are no longer just searching the field value within the list box but rather searching other field values that may be associated with the values within the list box.

For example,  If I am on the Customer Name list box I can use other criteria associated with the customer to try and narrow the list of customer names.  Examples could include: a product they may have purchased, a telephone number, a street name, a sales person, etc...

As you enter a search and select a value QlikView will build a list, allowing you to search on many different terms before limiting your data set.  For example:

In the above associative search I entered a product (and selected with a mouse click), then I searched for a month/year, and finally a state.  As I added selections the number of names in the customer list (on the left) grew smaller and smaller.  Finally after all three search terms I was left with 2 potential names.  I then hit 'enter' on the keyboard and I am left with these 2 customers selected:

Notice that while my 2 customer are selected, the search terms used in my associative search are not used to limit my data set.  You can tell this by the fact that I see more products than just the original 'Vest' item I used in my associative search. 

Take Away:
The take away from this feature is that you can use the power of the associative data model by searching for values associated with any entity in your data model without actually using them as 'filters' as we have come to know in QlikView.
Hope it will helpful to better understand!!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

The pertinent word is "associative", if you search this site for that you will get a fair few hits.  Here are a couple.:

QlikView Is Associative to Its Very Core

The Associative Experience - Revisited

maksim_senin
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hi,

I would suggest to read QlikView 11 Reference Manual from the first to the last page, this is much better and effectively, at least your understanding will be more systemized in comparison with kaleidoscopic knowledge gotten from the Community.

Best regards,

Maxim

Not applicable
Author

With QlikView 10 a very powerful new feature has been added: “Associative Search“.

This feature gives the end user the possibility to search for values in a listbox considering associated data to get the desired results.

For example:
Instead of directly selecting/searching for the company named “YXZ Company” within the “Company”-listbox, you can enter the search-expression “Europe” and “Vienna” and you’ll get all “XYZ Company” if this company is associated with the region “Europe” and the city “Vienna”.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi

You can check this link: Nice Explanation you can understand much about Associative Search

QlikView Associative Search | Qlik

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi

Associative Search in QlikView v10

One of the great new features in QlikView 10 is the idea of extending the concept of the associate data model.  The embedded search tool now supports the idea of Associative Search.

Click Search Icon In Caption

When you click on the search icon with in the caption of the list box a new 'chevron appears'.  A chevron pointing to the right searches on the field value in your list box. 

Right Pointing Chevron

If you click on this chevron it will change directions and expand the search box (see image to the below/center).

In v10 when you enter a search term in this box you are no longer just searching the field value within the list box but rather searching other field values that may be associated with the values within the list box.

For example,  If I am on the Customer Name list box I can use other criteria associated with the customer to try and narrow the list of customer names.  Examples could include: a product they may have purchased, a telephone number, a street name, a sales person, etc...

As you enter a search and select a value QlikView will build a list, allowing you to search on many different terms before limiting your data set.  For example:

In the above associative search I entered a product (and selected with a mouse click), then I searched for a month/year, and finally a state.  As I added selections the number of names in the customer list (on the left) grew smaller and smaller.  Finally after all three search terms I was left with 2 potential names.  I then hit 'enter' on the keyboard and I am left with these 2 customers selected:

Notice that while my 2 customer are selected, the search terms used in my associative search are not used to limit my data set.  You can tell this by the fact that I see more products than just the original 'Vest' item I used in my associative search. 

Take Away:
The take away from this feature is that you can use the power of the associative data model by searching for values associated with any entity in your data model without actually using them as 'filters' as we have come to know in QlikView.
Hope it will helpful to better understand!!

Not applicable
Author

The search box contains a chevron (>>) to the right. If you click it, the search box is expanded to the right and a secondary result set is displayed next to the primary result set. This secondary list contains search matches in other fields. It is now possible to click in the secondary result set and make temporary selections. Such

selections will narrow down the result in the primary result set.

1. Create a listbox with Year field

2. Enter search string as 20 as shown attached image (1.jpg)    

3. then click on (>>) to get the associative search results as shown in attached image  (2.jpg)