Did you mean: 
anonymous1
Contributor III
Contributor III

bar chart showing null dimensions

hi, 

so i have  a bar chart which is showing me items that are null:

3.JPG

so the 2 items that ive circled shouldnt be there.  when i change this bar chart into a straight table they dont appear.  also i have "suppressed when null" for both dimensions.  any ideas how to get rid of these?

2 Replies
jensmunnichs
Creator III
Creator III

Sometimes, it is impossible to hide certain null/zero values in a bar chart. I believe this is the case when:

1. (requires multiple expressions) an expression has a result for dimension value A, but not for value B, but another expression has a result for dimension value B. For example:

Capture2.PNG

2.  (requires multiple dimensions) a dimension does not contain every value of the dimension below it AND there is at least 1 expression result for the sub dimension in another dimension on the same level.

For example, Year is dimension 1 and Month is dimension 2, but we only have data from 1-6-2018 to 1-6-2019. This means that there isn't a combination of April + 2018 or November + 2019 in our data set, but because all the month values exist it will still show all months for both years (as long as the month has an expression result in at least 1 year).

Capture.PNG

If either of these things is happening in your chart, I'm afraid it's not possible to remove the empty spaces unless you use some next level wizardry that I'm not aware of.

Hope that makes sense. If this doesn't help you, let me know and I'll try to think of another cause.

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

Natasha, have a look at the following Design Blog post and note at the bottom of the post there is a link to a pdf whitepaper as well in that post that may also be useful to further explain the behavior of things.

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Design-Blog/NULL-The-Invisible-Nothing/ba-p/1467674

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.