Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Joness
Contributor II
Contributor II

connecting 3 tables with common fields of different unique identifier

Hi there,

I have been hitting the error "One or more loops have been detected in your database structure. ..", and am not sure how to resolve it.

Below is a rough schematic diagram of the tables that I would like to associate with one another, however using different unique identifiers. (screenshot)

End of the day, I hope to achieve something as per screenshot as well. 

Please advise me on where did I go wrong? 

Thanks
Kim

loop.JPG

desired outcome.JPG

Labels (3)
3 Replies
eliran
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Kim,

Since Qlik doesn't work well with loops, you need to break the chain.

The Qlik way is that you make a selection in one field, it affects the entire table, and the tables connected to it.

It moves on with the same way to other tables until it ends.

When there is a loop, Qlik's engine doesn't know when to stop, hence the problem with the loops.

As for fixing it, what you need to do with your tables, is concatenating them (same as Union command in SQL).

You need to append the rows coming from your sells and purchases, give them some status like 'Sell' as Type in the first table, and 'Purchase' as Type in the second table.

Last, if you would like to sum the data together (Buy-Sell), you can do it either in the UI or in the script.

I hope it helps,

Eliran.

Brett_Bleess
Former Employee
Former Employee

The following Design Blog post should be helpful as well:

https://community.qlik.com/t5/Qlik-Design-Blog/Circular-References/ba-p/1469332

Regards,
Brett

To help users find verified answers, please do not forget to use the "Accept as Solution" button on any post(s) that helped you resolve your problem or question.
I now work a compressed schedule, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, so those will be the days I will reply to any follow-up posts.
marksouzacosta
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi,

We just released a new video in our YouTube channel related to your question.
I hope it helps!

IPC Tips - Removing Circular References
https://youtu.be/s-QA8fbQDC4

Regards,

Mark Costa

Read more at Data Voyagers - datavoyagers.net